Folding Prop Report

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Some of you may know that I purchased and installed a Flex-O-Fold two blade prop this year replacing my three blade Campbell Sailor...

Well, unfortunately, $$$$$$$$:doh:, the prop is coming off and the Campbell Sailor is going back on. The boost in sailing speed in low winds was able to be felt but in higher winds the performance difference was not noticeable as we were already up against hull speed with either prop.. Net gain in sailing speed = negligible.

My observations:

The Likes List:

*Speed under sail in light winds improved. (not nearly as much as I had hoped)
*When folded she would not catch pot buoys
*Very well engineered and manufactured a true work of art.
*Flex-O-Fold nailed the sizing and the boat could attain max rated RPM.

The Dislikes List:

*Speed gains under light wind sailing of about 0.1 - 0.2 knots, but not worth the drastic increases in vibration
*Slower than 3 blade under power at same RPM
*No matter what could not attain same max under power speed with two blade
*Powering into chop or current lacked any sort of "drive", anemic best describes it
*Bad vibration right at my ideal cruise RPM throttle, had to be backed down
*Reverse about as weak as Richard Simmons. Took blasts of full throttle in reverse to even begin to slow our boat, she's pretty heavy
*Did not fold & continued to spin unless you remembered to lock gear box in reverse
*Vibration was not tolerable AT ALL
*Similar prop walk to Campbell Sailor
*Considerably less power to drive into a tidal current or chop
*Crash stops non-exxistent

Honestly the Flex-O-Fold is a work of art and a very well designed and engineered prop. The forward thrust is surprisingly "OK" for a two blade, in-line with most of the reviews, but nowhere even close to the Campbell Sailor three blade. Not surprising, but as you read some of the FOF reviews it would have you believe otherwise, sadly I did.

Reverse is pretty much non-existent compared to the CS 3 blade, though it is leaps and bounds better than our old Martec two blade folder, which had basically no reverse at all. Our boat is pretty heavy, about 19,000 + pounds, so stopping it is no small feat for any 16" prop let alone a folding two blade. Crash stops.....??? Forget it she just keeps rolling like a freight train....

Where the prop really failed us is in vibration. My wife never really knew I had installed a new prop, I mentioned it, but she tuned me out as; yadda, yadda, boat stuff, boat stuff, yadda, yadda, yadda;).

This past weekend she came up to the cockpit to say "something is wrong everything is shaking and rattling". When I went below later I found paper towels & rags stuffed into the stove to keep it from rattling. We have not stuffed paper towels in stoves since we owned our two blade Martec folding prop on the Catalina 30....:doh:

Our boat has NEVER EVER had any vibration issues. It has always been about as smooth as glass. She is driven by a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi/Westerbeke on factory Westerbeke mounts. Due to the engine being set up as a v-drive the prop shaft is about 65" long and that is likely where the issues come into play, and got exacerbated..

All folders move the blades further away from the cutlass bearing than fixed props do. The further away from the bearing you are the more likely you'll be to cause "shaft whip". This is a jump rope like effect between the bearing and the gear box flange. I suspect this is what is happened on our boat. The prop was tested for balance and was found to be well within specifications. Two blade props just have more vibration than three, that's accepted knowledge, just how much was always the question? I now know that, for our boat.....:neutral: When you move the blades 6 3/8" from the cutlass bearing, on an already long shaft, these issues are likely unavoidable.

Most sailors would think nothing of this level of vibration as most sail boats I am on are actually worse, and most sailors assume it is just normal. Despite the wide acceptance by many sailors of this level of vibration, it is not normal and my concern is always the level of damage months or years of this type of vibration can cause to the vessel, strut, gear box and other associated items.

If I only ever had to sail, and never used the motor, this prop would be great. Sadly for us we live in the land of summer winds that don't wake up until 1:00 PM most days. The motor gets run and that is just the reality of "sailing" (or power boating with a spar;)) in Maine.....

So sadly, after all the trouble & expense, I will schedule to have her put in the slings so I can swap out the Flex-O-Fold for our slightly higher drag but SMOOTH Campbell Sailor....:doh:

Besides the fact that it is only a two blade prop this is where I feel the problem stems from:

And this is the CS prop and an image depicting a very exaggerated illustration of shaft whip... When I change it out I will measure the actual offset differences...If our boat had a shorter shaft the vibration might have been tolerable...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good note, Maine.. So .. if ya want smooth and thrust in both dierctions and lowest drag, a three bladed feathering or folding sounds like the answer. I have been wrestling with that one for a few years, not wanting to release the extra dollars..Will stay with what I have for now.. a plain old Michigan two blade.

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Main - I installed a 3 bladed variprop last year. It has been a great performance addition but I noticed around 3100 RPM I get some vibration. Nothing serious but noticable. I wonder if it is the same situation with the prop shaft?

Feb 6, 1998
Good note, Maine.. So .. if ya want smooth and thrust in both dierctions and lowest drag, a three bladed feathering or folding sounds like the answer. I have been wrestling with that one for a few years, not wanting to release the extra dollars..Will stay with what I have for now.. a plain old Michigan two blade.
I should have gone with a 3 blade FOF prop but did not.... I still think the extra distance beyond the bearing would have caused shaft whip though. All folders do this, move the blade centers aft, and the small hub feathering props like the Max, J Prop and Vari-Profile also move the blade centers aft but not as much as a folder. J Prop moves them the least aft but they are hard to get in the US currently..

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Vibration

Different priorities and annoyances I guess. I had a two blade fixed on my Hunter Legend 40.5. I replaced it with a Slipstream folding geared two blade prop through Martec. The backing (with higher revs) was at least as good as the Martec in normal, non-crash, maneuvers. There may be some more coarseness, but if there is, it's hardly noticeable. The improvement in light wind performance is remarkable and worth any other issue. I have 1200 hours on it and am a happy guy. I have not been on a 40.5 with a three blade prop in years, so I have no point of comparison but I suspect it can't help but be smoother. The reverse isn't an issue.

Jul 27, 2004
Nauticat 331 Wickford RI
I basically went through the same exercise with my previous Catalina 320 about 10 years ago. I switched from the standard 3 blade to a Martec 2 blade folder.

The vibration was probably not as bad as MS describes but - it was there and completely unacceptable. The reverse was horrible...... and since I did the switch over the winter I really didn't notice the forward thrust difference until I did a short haul and put the 3 blade back on - Wow it was like a power boat.

Obviously 6 months of winter storage can erase a lot of memories and especially perceptions.
I ended up going with the feathering and auto pitch Auto-Prop on the C320 and that is what my current Nauticat came with and I still love it on both boats.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Just replaced a 2 blades fixed with a 2 blades Max-prop. Launched a week ago. Less vibration, better bite both forward and reverse. I would consider a 3 blades if the price wasn't double.

Folding props were known to have issue with reverse. It has to use centrifugal force to counter act water flow in order to open.

Did you consider a 3 blades feathering prop?

Mar 14, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 40CC Brisbane, CA
I have a PYI Maxprop and I don't see any increased vibration from the original fixed prop. I don't have a strut though which I'm sure makes a big difference.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Three Blade

I have a 3 blade Flex O Fold on my H-36 and love it's sailing increase and it is great in Reverse stopping my boat,yes should have gone with the 3 blade.
Nick

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
I am currently MOST UNHAPPY with my new Flex-O-Fold as despite the old prop being a 12 X 8 there 12 X 7 appears to be much bigger as the motor has lost 700 RPM

I am waiting for a reply on a resolution :(

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Sorry bad original post! :doh:

Anyway we have a 3 blade Vari-Prop and really like its performance. Good forward power and great reverse for stopping (19,000+ Lbs). 3 Blade is the way to go! :dance: Unfortunately they are getting pretty pricey! :cry:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Hunter 34 Cape Coral, Florida
I put a Gori 3 blade folding prop on about a year and a half ago. I had a 3 blade fixed....like towing a bucket when sailing. The new Gori is amazing... better forward and reverse and it has "overdrive" that when your motorsailing, you can maintain hull speed at about 1500rpm. It cruises at 2400rpm. The BIG differance is in the sailing! I know I get 1.5 knots or more out of the boat in almost all conditions. The Gori was pricey.... but you get what you pay for.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I've gotta get into this discussion as I am opinionated and set in my ways. Three boats back I bought a Max-prop for a boat that had terrible prop walk. It eliminated the prop walk but the performance was so much better both when sailing and under power that my next two boats including my recent H27 have three bladed Max props. I have had a two prop Gori and a Martex on other boats that I have had. I've also been a charter boat skipper with a variety of props. The Max prop is the best and the only one that I will use from now on.

One time I back into a slip, stepped off to tie the boat down and a man from down the docks came up to me and said he'd like to buy me a drink when I was done. He'd never seen someone back the boat so well and put it right into the slip like I had done. I hated to tell him it was the Max prop that allowed me to do the docking. But I took the praise anyway--never can get too much praise.

Three blade Max prop. It will smooooooth the engine vibrations, give you total control in reverse, power you through chop better then a fixed two blade, and stop you faster then any other prop for man over board. It is standard gear for Swans, Oysters, Halberg-Rassy and other European boats.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Mainesail,
does that mean i am going to see a lightly used Flex o Fold in Uncle Henrys next week? or is the company willing to take it back.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Maine, like you I changed out my 3blade Campbell Sailor for a 2blade Flex-o-Fold. Acceptable forward and marginal reverse but I couldn't stand the vibration.

Like you I'm taking the Flex-o-Fold out but putting in a Kiwi Prop. Wish you had post sooner by a month plus, then I would have gone for the 3blade Flex-o-Fold or Kiwi Prop. Ah well, a spare door stopper.

Feb 6, 1998
Ken,

Yeah, lessons learned, the hard & expensive way..... :doh:

I am stunned at the "difference" in vibration, it is dramatic to say the least and everything about the installation is spot on.

-Shaft is new and straight to .001" over it's length (Aquamet 22)
-Alignment is .001" (in water tuned rig)
-Cutlass is new
-Shaft passes through cutlass perfectly
-Prop was lap fit to better than 95% fit across the taper
-Shaft is perfectly centered in the shaft log
-Engine Mounts are about six months old

The CS was smooth as glass, the FOF is not even tolerable, even to my wife who made the first negative comments not even really knowing I'd changed the prop..

I wanted a folder due to the waters we sail in. Feathering props can still catch pots under sail. They are also horribly expensive to repair when you hit a lobster buoy and damage them. A customer of mine hit one last summer with his Max prop and the repair bill was over $1500.00. I can buy three fixed props for just the price of a repair on some props. Some feathering props are more robust than others and I may consider one in the future...

I'm not racing with our boat so for now I will suck up the drag hit for a while longer...

Feb 6, 1998
Mainesail,
does that mean i am going to see a lightly used Flex o Fold in Uncle Henrys next week? or is the company willing to take it back.
It will be for sale... IIRC it is a 16X12RH for a 1" shaft (could be an 11 pitch though).. I suspect on a boat with a significantly shorter shaft it could be ok. Our shaft is anything but short due to it being connected to a v-drive and I doubt any prop that moves the blades any further aft would be as good as a fixed...

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I switched from my original fixed two blade to a Gori two blade for two reasons. I did have a considerable amount of hull vibration with the fixed blade. more than likely due to the fact that the prop had never been check for balance or pitch. Second, and most important, was because Yanmar did not recommend locking the transmission in gear to prevent free rotation while sailing. I hated the freewheeling. I actually gained about a half knot in speed, and I think I am getting better bite in reverse. I bought the Gori used as a trial,and it is over pitched by an inch, but that is another issue for another discussion.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have always wanted a max prop for my boat but the money is unbearable. I have far to many other things that I would like to do before I would consider this. Thanks for the report and the information. As always, very informative.

Feb 6, 1998
Let's try this again.....

So here I go again...

This time I chose the J-Prop which is a very well & creatively engineered feathering prop. In the running were Max Prop, Variprofile and the J-Prop. In the end the J-Prop won out. While not hugely popular in the US they are very popular in Europe and Beta USA (Stanley) is now the US importer & distributor. Stanley was surely a part of my decision to bite the bullet on the J-Prop as he is one of the most upstanding guys in the industry. In the end the features and engineering of the J-Prop really called to me.

I knew of them because I had rebuilt/regreased one for a customer a few years ago and was thoroughly impressed with it. I found no unusual wear and it really only needed and injection of grease but I was so used to tearing down Max Props to service them that I fully disassembled, cleansed and re-greased it.

Like many feathering props you need to cut the shaft slightly. I used my old prop nuts as guides. Nothing beats going old school with a hack saw for this..

One of the engineering details I loved was the ability to adjust rotation & pitch in about 10 seconds flat or a dive without even a wet suit necessary. Seeing as our boat is considerably heavier than her design weight and drives a 160A alternator plus a Sea Frost refrigeration system it makes it difficult to hit pitch spot on thus I wanted easy adjust-ability. To change pitch on the Campbell Sailor required a short haul and in the end a single pitch adjustment cost damn neat as much as the prop did. here I have two potential pitches marked with a paint pen. #9 Pitch, well not really the actual pitch just a reference # to the pitch you've already worked out, and RH rotation.

To adjust the pitch grab the tail and pull back.

#10 Pitch RH rotation in under 5 seconds....

I will let you know how it works out, or if it does not. If it is not as smooth as the Campbell Sailor, or damn near, it will come off. I won't tolerate vibration..