Flying a Spinnaker on a V222

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
I must admit I have a bit of Spinnaker envy currently. We all dream of sailing during these dreary winter months and I'm no different. I was wondering about a couple of things regarding flying a spinny on a V222.

1) Is it even practical? The 150 Genoa is such versatile sale and easily handled on the roller. But, there are times (mostly for show of course) I would love to fly one. I have a very good condition spinnaker from another boat that I think will work fine and let me get a feel for it or even determine if I want to invest in a nicer sail, rigging and hardware.

2) The sail I have has a luff of 20'9" and the foot is 12', This is a bit smaller than the ones I see recommended for a 22 (most of those have a luff of 24'). But, if I'm not mistaken the luff height cannot exceed the mast height e.g. the spinnaker would hit the water or get tangled on the deck rigging when setting and dowsing if too large. Though I know I'm going to get a lot of reasons why the math is wrong for the boat, but as a practical matter will it fly? And (here we go) if it does fly what are the associated problems with running a slightly smaller spinnaker? Jibing? Ect...

3) I can rig the one I have with some existing rigging and hardware I have lying around. So is it worth a try (knowing full well I'm going to try it despite what advise I get lol). If it works out maybe I'll invest a proper spinny and gear. And who knows... maybe I'll just keep the one I have.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
if I'm not mistaken the luff height cannot exceed the mast height e.g. the spinnaker would hit the water or get tangled on the deck rigging when setting and dowsing if too large.
Too big isn't necessarily a problem, 'til the wind pipes up. ;)
Set up an adjustable tack if you can.

So is it worth a try
Ayup. Anytime the wind won't fill the genoa, it's definitely worth a try.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I must admit I have a bit of Spinnaker envy currently.
1) Is it even practical?
Who cares if it is practical!!! It will definitely increase the "fun" factor. That is what sailing is all about for me.
Here is a pic of how I set up one on my 26S:

Ghost Spinnaker.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Asymmetrical or Symmetrical? Either is worth a try of course Symmetrical will require more riggging

Jan 25, 2017
Perfect! I have some aluminum spars of varying lengths (old Sunfish spars from the lateen rigs io got donated) that I can cut to any length and add some clips.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I had mine made so I could learn to use it. Practical has *never* crossed my mind. Honestly, I got it for two reasons- for the challenge and because it looks cool. Speed or practicality are not reasons for my purchase.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Flew symetrical Spinnaker on our V-222. Have pic somewhere? Performed well. Sailed downwind from Ventura Ca. to Marina del Rey Ca. Of course you will need rigging, pole, lift, downhaul, blocks, line. $$$. It's only money.

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks Freedom - It's always nice to have your blessing! I know it's a tiny bit smaller than recommended but I have it, and most of the hardware I will need. We'll call it a drifter... lol.

Jul 29, 2010
Todd, I think the one I bought was also undersized. better too small than too big. When we got Freedom I gave it to a friend who owned a Balboa 20. Had an oversized chute made for Freedom, 525 sq. ft. On a downwind run to Ensenada we pegged the Knot meter. RUSH!! Will get back on my soap box. MID BOOM MAINSHEET. Keep Calm and Sail On.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Found pic. circa 1975, close reach out of Marina del Rey heading north. Wind shifted afternoon, broad reach all the way back.

Attachments

Jan 25, 2017
The fact that you found the picture is amazing. The fact that you remember the weather conditions that day... truly spectacular! You're my hero Freedom!

Jul 29, 2010
:yikes:Most days I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Now that I figured out how to post pics I will see what else I have in the vault.

Jul 29, 2010
FYI. For all you trivia junkies. There was a twelve meter built in 1939 by Harry Rasmussen named Sphinx. It hoisted a giant sale that was said to be the size of an acre. Thus, Sphinx Acre, became Spinnaker. At least that's the story I got and I'm stickin' to it.
J.P. Morgan was once asked how much his "J" boat cost. He replied, "If you have ask to the price you can't afford it." He was supposed to sail on the Titanic, but cancelled last minute.

Last edited: