Fly Like an Eagle (Photos)

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Or just sit and chill out.

Across the lake from the marina is a tall, dead tree. We call it the eagle tree because nearly every time we go over there, we see bald eagles perched there. Usually there's 2 or 3, sometimes 5. On a recent visit, however, we were thrilled to see ELEVEN...three adults and eight juveniles. Later that night, after coming in for the day, we even had an adult do a flyby over the marina, not too far above the masts.

The bald eagle population in Minnesota is thriving.

7IM_7692.JPG

7IM_7693.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
This is on Lake Pepin, a 21 mile long x 2 mile wide (average) spot on the Mississippi River.

We always see eagles when we sail, though this year there seems to be a big jump in the population. Watching them circle about and glide down to the water's surface to grab a dead fish never gets old. Last weekend we saw one eagle grab a fish only to have another one dive bomb the first and knock the fish out of it's grip. I've started keeping my camera outfitted with the long lens and in our cockpit bag at the ready, hoping to catch the action on "film".

Just past the south end of the lake the Chippewa River empties into the Mississippi. That, combined with the increased current of the river at that point tends to keep the river from freezing in the winter, which provides open waters for the eagles to fish. I've been on an overlook in February and have counted about 200 eagles from one spot.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
They have developed a huge presence on Lake Minnetonka as well, amazing as it really is an urban lake. In the fall they seem to outnumber the Loons 20:1, and take particular pleasure in terrorizing the Coots with strafing attacks as the poor little things sit in large flocks on the water.

Last edited:

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
A couple of years ago we were in Barkley Sound (West side Vancouver Island). We see lots of eagles there. One afternoon as we ate lunch on the hook one came down out of a tall tree and snagged a salmon in the water. A too-big salmon as it turned out. Usually they continue on with a flopping fish hanging from their talons. This bird did a major face plant. We expected it to Release, Retreat, Recoup and Reconsider but he held on tight. Lots of thrashing around for a few minutes until the fish got tired enough. The eagle did a Micheal Phelps butterfly stroke through the water about 50 meters to shore where it managed to drag the still animate fish up on the gravel beach. It took it another 10-15 minutes of heavy beak work to cut the fish in half. It then took off with the back half and headed around the point. Those are very tough birds!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Those are very tough birds!
And being Apex Predators, have no real enemies, and don't fear much.
I learned that a few winters ago driving up to my old lake house in northern Wisconsin. Stopping to get gas in a small town, I noticed a road-kill whitetail near the station driveway, with a couple of Eagles casually picking away at it. While the pump was running, I walked out to the road to get a closer look. When I rounded the bank, I was startled to see an eagle, seeming at eye level, looking at me with a disdainful 'what the f**k do you want look'. I stopped in my tracks, paused, and slowly walked backwards to my car.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Our eagles are sissies. When you get too close, they fly away. Unlike a buzzard we saw on US281 is Texas. He was on the centerline feasting on roadkill and cars were whizzing by from both directions right next to him. He never budged.