Flux compass location

Jul 23, 2012
Beauteau 42CC 42CC New Bern, NC
I have a 2002 Beneteau 42CC, SN FR-BEY B1035D202 and I would like to know if
someone can tell me where the flux compass unit for the auto pilot is located on my boat. I am having auto pilot problems that just began this past weekend after 6 six years of flawless service. The only change on the boat was the installation of a power winch, which doesn't seem to be the source of problem.
Thanks for any assistance.

Tom Joseph

Jan 12, 2015
beneteau oceanis 390 herzelia
It's hidden somewhere inside a locker distant from metal.
Just follow the line from the autopilot control.
That's what I did and you'll get to know your buildge....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Each dealer puts it where he wants to, so no telling where from boat to boat.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
One clue, it needs to be near the centerline of the boat, but not close to the lump of cast iron called an engine.
Mine is in the aft cabin locker. I have to be careful that nobody hangs stuff there on metal coat hangers. If they do, it throws the compass off.

Feb 24, 2014
Hunter 376 Havre de Grace
on the center-line of the boat is best. avoid locations in close proximity to unshielded metal objects and especially power cables.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I was searching on my Hunter and found it by comments from a near model and size boat owner but....
There is a clever way to find it in my similar post by @justsomeguy post #5

https://forums.sailboatowners.com//index.php?threads/flux-compass-location.177633/#post-1276905

BTW mine is NOT on the center line of boat. I am not sure that 6' off center will be a significant error in a compass that does not have a precision of decimal degrees. My Richie steering compass is not that precise.

Good hunting...
Jim...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Pull up your saloon cushions, most installers place a warning sticker telling you to avoid place ferrous metal objects near the flux gate compass.

Jul 7, 2017
Beneteau 37 Gananoque, Ontario
I found mine in the aft cabin locker. Way off center but it works...so far.