Florida's Okeechobee Waterway

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Clancy

Traversing the Okeechobee Waterway, which connects the east and west coasts of Florida, is a scenic delight. Mast heights are limited to about 47' by the Port Mayaca fixed bridge. We had heard it referred to as a "ditch" across the state. In reality, it is mostly a wide waterway, teeming with wildlife and tropical vegetation. Most of the trip is easy motoring but we did enjoy a brisk sail across Lake Okeechobee. We thoroughly enjoyed our own trip. Has anyone else had the same good experience? Or, did you find it less appealing than we did?

K

Keith

sailing down the river

A friend of mine took a boat from Leavenworth Ks. to Florida east coast last year by way of the Missouri river and did end up going through the Okeechobee waterway. It is a very interesting story to read and it is on the web at the following address. http://www.sail-telesis.com/shipslog.htm

S

steven f.

see the real Florida

We made the trip from Cape Canaveral to Sarasota via the waterway in June last year. We found it to be a relaxing trip (with the exception of the summer squalls that nearly sank our boat in the shallow Lake Okeechobee). Finding holes to anchor in was sometimes a small challange but hey, isn't that what sailing is all about? The Port Mayaca RR bridge was our only concern going in. We have a 49' mast with electronics and we cleared with plenty of room to spare, at least 4"-6" (talk about sweating!!) Just a note to anybody considering the trip this winter. With the ongoing drought I've heard the lake itself is shallow(er). I've heard that a vessel drawing 3' will not make it across the lake. Make sure you confirm the condition of the lake and locks before going across. Call the US Army Corps of Engineers or the South Florida Operations Office in Clewiston Fl, their number is (941)983-8101. Pray for rain, we need it BAD!

R

Rob H

Seeing the real Florida........

The last time that I traversed the Caloosahatchie and Lake Okeechobee and on out to the ICW and the Atlantic, I was piloting a power boat. Due to my draft I stayed inside the marked channels as there are parts of the lake that are very shallow and I believe it is in your best interest to stay either in the channel across or the ditch around to prevent problems. I think that the worst problem we had going across was not finding a mooring spot for the night...but the unbelievable size and number of mosquitoes we encountered at sundown!! Took a week to find all of them and kill them!! It is a beautiful river and it is a relaxing trip. We are now in the process of purchasing a sailboat to make the transition to the saner side of boating and look forward to a more relaxing and interesting form of boating and looking forward to some serious cruising without dependence on oil products.

H

Howard Sherman

Beautiful Lake Okeechobee!

I've been waiting for this opportunity so here it goes. I've been living in Clewiston on Lake Okeehobee for the past 26 years. I bought my first sailboat in 1986 and have been sailing out of the Pahokee Marina, on the eastern shore, ever since. Through the years I have witnessed what I see as a major oversight. Most sailors using the waterway only see it as a means to reach the the other coast of Florida.( E.to W or W.to E Depending on where you start your trip)They enter the river and push like hell until they reach the other side, not spending one extra hour more than necessary to complete the crossing. Meanwhile I and my friends enjoy a peaceful and uncrowded sailing paradise! From November until April, the weather in our area is as beautiful as any other in south Fla, and the mosquitos are not a problem during this time. The big difference is the crowds. You could not pay me enough to traverse the waterways during this time of the year, fighting to stay in the channels as the condo commandos in there power yachts go screaming by with their huge wakes. Just for the record, the depths of the lake average 8 to 10 feet, and this holds true even now during this drought. From a point starting in Pahokee going north to Okeechobee and east to Port Mayaca, there is plenty of water to sail in without danger of running aground. I often night sail without ever seeing another boat. Sunsets can rival any seen in Key West. Pahokee Marina, though not equipped to haul out for repairs, has diesel and gasoline, 30 & 50 amp service and secure dockage for any sailboat that can pass under the railroad bridge at Port Mayaca. I'm the Commodore of the Pahokee Yacht Club and would like to extend an Invitation on behalf of our members to all sailors to stop in and see us a get to know south Florida as you have never experienced it before! Howard Sherman S/V Escape Contact Pahokee marina @(561)924-7832 Contact me at (863)983-8905 E-mail- hun27@gate.net

B

bailey

limited mast height

Enjoyed the posts about the "ditch" in Florida that connects the east with the west coast. My brother just took his 50' Pearson thru the ditch and his mast is over 50'. He only had 2 days to take the boat from west to east coast and had to "rock and catch" the boat sideways to fit under 2 different bridges! Pretty gutsy. They had some type of small powerboat meet them at the short bridges and somehow or other they got the sailboat sort of on her side in the water and fit her mast first (at sort of a diagonal)under the bridges. Mission was accomplishedand not a scratch on the boat. bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.