Florida Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank Gloss

HI there I'm going to the Keys the middle two weeks of February with my Catalina 22 Swing keel. I'll be sailing the Islamorada, Key Largo, and Elliott Key areas. Any suggestions as to good gunkholes, anchorages, or good bars and restaurants to sail up to? I am already planning to go to Lor-e-lei's for sure. Thanks Frank Gloss fgloss@knology.net

P

Paul Mieszczenski

Gilbert's on Jewfish Creek

Frank, You picked a really great part of the Keys to cruise in. Let's start at Islamorada and work east and north. Be sure to get to theWorld Wide Sportsman and the Islamorada Fish Company; the best grilled fish sandwich in the keys. The Lor-e-lei is at the east end of the Islamorada anchorage. We like to anchor on the north side of Cotton Key as long as the wind is from the east thru the southwest. Smugglers Cove Marina on Snake Creek has a bar and restaurant and overnite dockage. Snake Creek bridge is the only way out to the ocean until you get to Elliott Key. You might want to check out the reef if the weather is nice. Tarpon Basin is a good spot to anchor; just be sure to find a clear spot to set the hook. If you get in the grass you'll drag. If you're here on the 16th or 17th of Feb. look for an O'day 28 with a blue sail cover. That would be me on Ursa Minor; stop by and say Hi. At the north end of Blackwater Sound is Gilbert's Marina, that is where we keep our boat. Great Tiki Bar and restauant, hotel, marina and one of the best mechanical service centers in the northern keys. You might want to consider making this you're home base as it is right in the middle of where you want to cruise. The Catalina 22 mid -winters were here just last week. 305-451-1133. North of here things get pretty sparse. It's about 4 hours to Elliott from Gilbert's where there are a couple of passages out to the ocean. There is a dock on Elliott Key that is manned by the park service with cold showers but nothing else. I've stopped at Elliott 3 times and each time I've been run out by the No-see-ums. Hope the weather we've been having holds for you, because it has been perfect for anchoring out. Hope this mini tour gives you some info that you didn't have. If you get to Gilbert's, ask the dockmaster for Paul and Sandi on Ursa Minor. If we are there I'd like to meet you. PM

P

Peter C.

See Boca Chita Key!

No bars or restaurants here but a beautiful little island with a protected lagoon with seawalls and lots of room to walk about and meet other boaters. Great evening view of Miami skyline. located just north of Elliott Key.

R

rudy p

oh yeah

if you are down in the islamorada area the Tiki bar is a must.you can sail/ motor up to it and dock at the marina. stop at the low tide beach in the chanel on the way in and enjoy the view of local beauty and bare suntans. a great anchoring area is accross the snake creek channel in the bay side, cowpens anchorage, safe and close to everything. rudy islamorada, fl keys.

G

Gary

Question for you Key cruisers

Could a virgin sailor who just purchased a 1984 Hunter 20 pop his cherry in the areas you mention, or do I need to spend at least a season learning to sail in a nice protected lake? I love diving, snorkeling, paddling my sit-on-top kayak, and the bars, marinas, views, etc that you all are mentioning make me want to jump right in. But...maybe I should learn how to sail first, huh? Thanks, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.