Florida gulf coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank Gloss

Hi there, I am considering spending a week on the upper Florida Gulf coast in November. Possible Choctawatchee bay. does anybody have any input, suggestions etc? Thanks Frank Gloss Wind Magic (Catalina 22) frankgloss@home.com

S

Steven Gautney

The bay is extremely shallow in many places.

How do you plan on getting your boat in the bay? My point is that East Pass is the best opening to the gulf but was a real challange to get my trailerable boat rigged and in the water in Destin Harbor. Folks there are fishing boat oriented and sail boats seem to get in their way. I have sailed the bay several times and recommend you stay on the northern side of the bay . . .again the shallows and ICW barges will get in your way. Good Luck . . .I'm going to Pensacola Bay or St. Andrews Bay next time out.

K

Kevin Holloran

Gulf Coast

Hi Frank, There is a great article on Gulf coast cruising in the August issue of SAIL magazine. (If you can't find it, I can fax you a copy). I would agree with Steven re: his preference for Pensacola and/or St. Andrews Bay. Cape San Blas/St. Josephs Bay is a personal favorite too. Have fun! Kevin piperj3@hotmail.com

D

dave

captiva!!!

the best sailing that time of year is the gulf off sanibel/captiva. steve colgate runs his sailing school there and it is the best weather in the country for those 2 months. you can sail the gulf or inside the barrier islamds from ft myers down to gessepe etc

J

Jon Bastien

I lived there for a while...

...And Steven is right- The southern end of the bay is pretty shallow. There are more places to launch from than Destin harbor- I can help you find a place to launch your boat that will keep you out of the way of the barges and fishing boats. My personal favorite public launching spot was Liza Jackson state park, right on Hwy 98 in Fort Walton Beach. It's a bit of a sail through Santa Rosa Sound to the open waters of the bay, but the ramp, docks, and parking areas are all well kept (and also $free). I can also recommend a few neat little places on Choctawhatchee Bay for dining or overnight anchoring. Let me know if you're interested... --Jon Bastien H25 'Adagio' jonbastien(at)yahoo.com

S

Stan Duncan

Try Pensacola Bay

Frank - I live midway between Ft Walton Beach and Pensacola. We keep our boat in Pensacola Bay as it is much more sailboat friendly. Water is deeper - fewer shallow spots (but a chart is a must!) With a swing keel you can go just about anywhere. There is a good launching ramp on the Gulf Breeze side of the bridge connecting Pensacola and Gulf Breeze. Good open water with easy access to the ocean or intercoastal either East or West. Sailing weather is about perfect thru mid December.

Status
Not open for further replies.