Floating Line

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Anyone have recommendations for a floating line that does not rot away with UV?

We are replacing the painters on our 420 fleet and would prefer a line that floats. I replaced them about three years ago with some inexpensive line from a box store worked out well except it degrades in the sun. Maybe cheap is the way to go and just replace every couple of years.

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks

That does look interesting but with only 10 boats we do not need 1,200 feet. Does make me think though we may be in Biloxi next month and I could look to see what they have for crab pots and stuff. I know Pitallo's is gone but there was a place on 49 in Gulfport Jack's maybe, they catered to the fisherman and shrimpers.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
worked out well except it degrades in the sun
Bad news is all polymers degrade in Sun.:(

Some just do it slower than others or have a UV adsorption coating. Most Life Slings have floating ropes. Check bargains on ski ropes. End of season soon.;)
Jim...

Jun 2, 2004
The polypropylene ski line type of stuff works but is rough on the hands. We have used that on our Optis.

The stuff I last used was soft right up to when it fell apart.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I bought New England 7/16 dingy floating line..... about $1.10 per foot. Have had it on dingy now for 6+ years. Not as pretty as it once was but still floats, easy on the hands, ties a good knot and can still pull the dingy behind the boat (double painters on long trips).

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Replacing it every few years is probably the easiest thing to do, in my opinion.

However, if you're fixated on a longer lasting solution, and immediate cost isn't the issue, you could take the polypropylene line and put a Dacron "jacket" on it. The Dacron will last longer, be easier on the hands, and the line will probably float as long as you don't have too small a diameter polypropylene line.

I'd not go to that point. The other option is a "dingy painter float or series of floats? (Clearly not very "420-ish" and elegant ) ;^)))

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 410 Charlevoix, MI
Go to your hardware store (or anywhere) and look for Derby rope. You will find something like https://www.amazon.com/WELLINGTON-7...qid=1505515526&sr=8-9&keywords=derby+rope+5/8
Some stores carry it in big spools so you can buy whatever lengths you need.

While it is part poly polypropylene it is soft and stays that way even in the sun, it floats and in my experience is good for dinghy painter application for several years. Pretty cheap and attractive too.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Bill
I bought that line from Lowes 10 years ago and just replaced it this season for a longer one. I read that you should tow your dinghy a boat length behind and we moved up this season. I am very pleased with this line.
Our season is short compared to many others

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Go to your hardware store (or anywhere) and look for Derby rope. You will find something like https://www.amazon.com/WELLINGTON-75751-DERBY-SOLID-BRAID/dp/B000H5XWQW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1505515526&sr=8-9&keywords=derby+rope+5/8
Some stores carry it in big spools so you can buy whatever lengths you need.

While it is part poly polypropylene it is soft and stays that way even in the sun, it floats and in my experience is good for dinghy painter application for several years. Pretty cheap and attractive too.
The rope I linked to was also called derby rope

Solid Braid Rope - 1/4-Inch, 5/16-Inch, 3/8-Inch, 1/2-Inch, 5/8-Inch (Several Colors & Sizes)