Flex Seal

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Recently I've been searching for less expensive products that mimic or replace expensive marine products found at West Marine for a kings ransom (daughter in college, tuition!).

I've been using JB Weld in place of Marinetex, states can be used for marine use and, I've possibly found another alternative in Flex Seal. I bought a tube of it, it acts, feels, smells and seemingly does the same thing as 5200 however at least at face value, better. It goes on better, doesn't run as much and dries much quicker. Any chemists or wise sailors out there that can concur?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Flex seal is petroleum based, 5200 is polyurethane based. Totally different products. Probably won't last nearly as long as 5200 and, judging by the amount of toluene, will probably shrink a lot more than 5200.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Recently I've been searching for less expensive products that mimic or replace expensive marine products found at West Marine for a kings ransom (daughter in college, tuition!).

I've been using JB Weld in place of Marinetex, states can be used for marine use and, I've possibly found another alternative in Flex Seal. I bought a tube of it, it acts, feels, smells and seemingly does the same thing as 5200 however at least at face value, better. It goes on better, doesn't run as much and dries much quicker. Any chemists or wise sailors out there that can concur?
Take a look at Locktite PL S40. It is a polyurethane, much like 3M 4200, and has been tested in marine applications. I've been using it for many things, for over a decade. In fact, it is better than 3M products in terms of plastics and metal adhesion, though somewhat less UV resistant. But it definitely is a budget choice.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/05/100-best-buys-chapter-2.html
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZP1CT...lm-20&linkId=7a0d9d32d6318b8fa2e26404c2a377f9

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
I've used 5200 for years and I'm sure Flex Glue isn't as hardy as 5200, very few products are however it's not bad I'll have to admit. The bond is solid.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I keep trying to figure out how that jon boat cut down the middle from bow to stern and held together with nothing but flex tape manages not to fold in half and sink with nothing to keep it UNfolded.

--Peggie

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I was getting rid if my dingy 2 years ago and decided to test Flex Seal the black spray cans. After preparing the bottom to receive it, I used 5 cans to really cover the bottom well. My inflatable was leaking in water through the soft bottom. The product worked like a charm. However, only lasted 1 year or 3 months. I take the inflatable dingy out of the water after use or every trip sailing. So really it saw only 30 complete days in the water. More out than in!..lol
I give it a 2 out of 5 stars. It dies up and cracks. IMO Not worth the use. Capt. Rob