Flag Etiquette

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Notice that flag etiquette precludes flying the US national ensign from your spreaders. Foreigners are free to do so as a courtesy, but you Americans need to have it on the stern, centered, to starboard, or 2/3 up the leech of your main.

And for god sakes get yourself a suitably large flag. There really is no limit. Go large, and then one size larger.:)
Well- traditionally, the hoist (front edge) should be in inches, equal your boats length :)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Is it just this etiquette or do you also reject regular bathing, brushing your teeth, or observing the etiquette to not pee in your front yard?
Well, you haven't seen my front yard, have you?

dsc02682.jpg

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I don’t recall Amy Vanderbilt ever addressing that one. Miss Manners, either.
Some things are supposed to fall under, "that goes without saying". Problem is, some folks still need to be told...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Notice that flag etiquette precludes flying the US national ensign from your spreaders. Foreigners are free to do so as a courtesy, but you Americans need to have it on the stern, centered, to starboard, or 2/3 up the leech of your main.

And for god sakes get yourself a suitably large flag. There really is no limit. Go large, and then one size larger.:)
The only time one should see the US national flag flying from the starboard (or other) spreader is when the yacht is visiting from a foreign country!! Bless our Canadian neighbors!
89F38565-2AF8-4662-9DCE-B2A62CA99322.jpeg

Last edited:

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I agree most fly too small a flag but traditionally ships and boats fly a flag that is a proper proportion to the vessel length. Flying a flag that is grossly more than 1" fly per foot of boat length is typically done by ignorant Captains who don't understand (or don't care about) the great traditions of ships and sea from which the etiquette arose. I also find it particularly offensive when I see a law enforcement boat flying a little rag of a flag that they don't take in at night. The CG is usually careful to fly the flag properly but state LEO boats and especially most Homeland Security boats seem uncaring and unembarrassed to fly the US flag improperly on their boat. It's hard to give them the respect they deserve when they can't even get this right.