Flag Etiquette

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thank you very much! I am a "flag fan," and try to observe the traditions, 'though I'm not a yacht club member.

I don't see a mention of the U.S. Union Jack or National Jack, which is a blue field with fifty white stars. This is flown at the stem on Sundays and holidays. I made my own, 'cause I couldn't find one the right size.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I guess in 1988 no one had a port spreader? Weird.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
A highlight of our cruise to Canada was clearing customs, removing the Q flag, and hoisting the Maple Leaf on the stbd spreader. If you make your own 'Maple Leaf' (as I did), be aware that the Canadians are a bit touchy about the shade of red that you use. Definitely not pink or maroon!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Because it would mean we've dispensed with the notions of "countries", "borders", visas, etc.
71% of the globe are oceans. they are set up just the way you dream jsg.

we sailors tend to be big dreamers . i just don't see it happening on shore. but we sailors can just cast off and sail round and round out in the ocean feeling free.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Flag display and flag etiquette is all part of the fun of sailing. To see it as only an "old fashion" activity of a bygone time is to deny that sailing itself is of a bygone time. Equatable to the use of horses to perform work and travel on land. Recreational boaters get to skip out on many of the requirements that commercial, government, or military boaters must follow so become lazy about them, even contemptuous of being asked to learn and practice a basic protocol, even one of courtesy.:( The once importance of "protocol" aboard sailing ships is well illustrated in Morison's biography of John Paul Jones--a good read.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
before a MAC race i would read JP Jones bio to get into the racers head.

"but sir, i have not yet begun to fight'

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Notice that flag etiquette precludes flying the US national ensign from your spreaders. Foreigners are free to do so as a courtesy, but you Americans need to have it on the stern, centered, to starboard, or 2/3 up the leech of your main.

And for god sakes get yourself a suitably large flag. There really is no limit. Go large, and then one size larger.:)

Last edited: