Fixing Damage Under the Motor Mount on a Hunter 23.5

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Montross
Bought a new outboard motor. It's great, but it doesn't sit right on the existing wooden motor mount. The shape of the stern pushes the motor out some so it won't click into a secure down position. I'm fixing this by adding some small extenders to the motor mount and using longer bolts which will give me the extra two inches I need.

When I took off the wooden motor mount, I found damage behind it. Not sure how big of a deal this is, but while I have it off, I figured I'd repair it. I've never done any fiberglass repair and don't have any of that material handy. Wondering if I could just slap some Bondo on this to seal it so water can't get it. It won't be visible once I put the motor mount back on. (PO had some caulk around the motor mount. I think this was his attempt to deal with the issue.)

Suggestions welcome.

Evan

Attachments

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
Scrape off the caulking then sand with 80 grit. Apply a layer of Marine Tex and you should be good.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Clean off old 5200 and sand it. You may want to use a dremel in hard to places. Then add a two part epoxy and if using a stick style, make sure it is well mixed and making good contact. I used a better grade of two part epoxy.Let dry and spray with white plastic krylon paint. Make sure you mask off the area. No one will ever see that anyway. Did this as a dealer all the time.
As for extension, I cannot be sure but the stainless steel brackets to extend the motor mount out would be a good solution and may fit those holes already there which you can order pre made thru the forum store. You could make some but suggest thick steel drilled out to fit the existing holes L shaped on the edges to attach bolts thru on the transom and then again on the motor bracket.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If you only need 2 inches you may be able to buy nylon spacer rods that have a hole down the center at a big box store. Or make a set using Pvc pipe, about 1.5 inch diameter, cut to the 2 in length you need. Tape one end and pour liquid epoxy into the pipe and after it kicks drill a center hole for the bolt. If you need to angle the board at all you could make the uppers a different length from the lowers.

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Montross
Thanks for the suggestions. Marine Tex took care of the repair. I made extenders out of extra 2"x6". Stained and varnished the whole thing while I had it off. Replaced the existing bolts with ones that were 2" longer. This should work and I'll know for sure in a few months when I put the boat in the water.

Attachments