Fixed Deck/Hull Joint Leak

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have had water in my bilge since I.ve owned my 2000 410. After investigating possible leaks over the years decided it had to be the hull/deck joint. While the boat was pulled for bottom paint I removed the stern rub rail and plastic keeper. Removed all bolts, cleaned the joint, added a little epoxy where the fiberglass had some issues and filled the joint with 5200. Installed new keeper (purchased from this site) and put it all back together. I just splashed the boat Monday and happy to say no water in the bilge.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is great news. I had a fishing boat hit my boat in May. The damage appears to have affected the deck hull joint near my stern. Focus is to try and get the boat on the hard to see and repair what is going on. Nice to hear one boater had success.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
So you think the water was from the deck, and rolled into the area behind the rub rail, then found its way down one of the bolts, or the joint itself on the side? How did you find the leak? Trace it through from the inside?

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Found the same to be true on our 36. Evidence of leak along seam was varied but noticeable, like water running down inside of the hull behind seats or in lockers. I would place paper towels in suspect areas or tape them to the hull below the seam and chain plate bolt penetrations to look for water trails and wrinkled paper that was once wet but now dry, or paper sticking to hull where wet and now dry. Local hunter dealer said it was not unheard of and to apply 5200 to seam from inside where leak was found after prepping the area. The rub rail and chrome trim insert on the 36 is actually screwed into the hull joint with SS screws that are about 2"in length. The first leak I found looked to be coming in from a chain plate and turned out to be coming in along a screw next to the chain plate that wasn't properly prepped with sealant. Getting one of those 1 meter long inspection cameras and spending a few rainy days on the boat looking for leaks helped. After 2 years I have a dry bilge after a heavy rain...fingers crossed. have considered taking off the rub rail and resealing because only about half the seam is accessible from the interior.