fixed 3 blade propeller

Jun 13, 2016
Hunter 38 Mystic, CT
I have a 2006 hunter 38 with 40 hp moter which came with a FlexFold 3 blade propeller but am unhappy with close quarters maneuvering especially in reverse. The boat came with a "new in the box" 17R11 fixed 3 blade prop.
I understand that some H38"s came standard with a 3 blade but can't find specs. on correct size. Does anybody know if the 17R11 is the prop. for the boat.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Hi
I have a 2008 Hunter 38 with the same Yanmar 40 hp engine.
I replaced my fixed blade original prop with a Max Propand then sold the fixed blade.

Here is the information from when I sold it.

It was stamped as a 17 R 11 and the R signifies right handed.
The shaft diameter is 1 1/4 inch
It was made by Michigan Wheel which is located in Grand Rapids (about 6 miles from my home) but I don’t think you can buy direct. You will have to go through a distributor and I think the SBO store can do that for you

I’m not sure you will be happy with the fixed blade though. I’ve been way happier with the Max Prop performance. Backs far better with less prop walk, stops with authority and not having to listen to that whirling sound the prop makes when it spins as you sail. (You’ve I’m sure seen the service bulletin from Yanmar that says to leave the engine in neutral when you sail - they do not recommend reverse as it can damage the transmission).

Anyway good luck and hope the prop information is helpful.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
A three-bladed, fixed pro will be like dragging a small bucked around as a drogue.

What are the issues with close quarters maneuvering? (I recall that the reverse power of the Flexifold exceeded a similar fixed prop in the Practical Sailor report -- that might have been a two-bladed model.)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If it helps for comparison's sake, we went from a fixed 3 blade to FOF 3 blade on our Beneteau 37. The fixed was 17x12 and the FOF is 16x12.

I'll echo SG's question on what the problems are maneuvering. We found that the FOF has about half the prop walk in reverse that the fixed did, so going back to a fixed you'll have to fight that a lot more. We do need to use more throttle to stop, but that's basically the difference between idle and 1200 RPM's; we still have plenty of heard room. Add to that all of the sailing benefits (speed, quiet, and better rudder control), and I personally can't imagine ever going back.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I love my 3 blade flexofold and would never go back to the fixed three blade. Are you satisfied with your forward performance under power and sail. If not maybe the flexofold is not the right size. But if that performance is ok maybe a bit more practice with your 3 blade flexofold is in order. Good luck.

Jun 13, 2016
Hunter 38 Mystic, CT
Thank you for all the good advice. Added prop walk would be a problem getting out of my slip.
Maybe I will try another season with the flexfold and be a little heavier on the throttle.