Five most important things for a trip via the ICW to the Bahamas?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
You forgot "credit card". :biggrin:
You can bring a credit card(s) but be prepared. Some carriers charge stiff international fees for charges in foreign countries. You might want to check with your card carrier........

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You can bring a credit card(s) but be prepared. Some carriers charge stiff international fees for charges in foreign countries. You might want to check with your card carrier........
"Freedom" isn't free, there's a hefty f*****' fee."

Team America, World Police

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"Freedom" in big 'ol letters on my credit card.

Bunch of hype...:rolleyes:

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Also coming from Boston area, we found the ICW trip really wonderful. Much prettier than expected. Not very crowded. Lots of good stops. To you question:

Be conservative on miles. 50 miles is a pretty good day - especially in the fall when it is getting dark just after 4PM. When we can, we plan a leisurely 100 miles in three days with two days of 50 miles and one day off for sightseeing, maintenance, weather, or just to not hear the engine. Also we always break up the trip by leaving the boat halfway for three-four weeks in a marina and flying home. Or simply stop for two weeks and really explore a place like Charleston.

Don't get started too late. The first winter gales can hit the NJ coast in early October making it hard to get out of New England. And November can be uncomfortably cold in the Chesapeake. If you want to have really comfortable days in the cockpit and not wish for a heater at night try to get to Norfolk by October 1 and Charleston by November 1. Also, try to have an insurance policy with a hurricane box that lets you go south early. Many don't let you go south of Norfolk until November 1 but others let you go all the way to the Florida border by that date.

We (and most people we know doing the ICW) use ActiveCaptain. Sure it has some inaccurate postings, but if there are 20 postings about a shallow spot, we take it slow. We also use ActiveCaptain with Garmin Blue Chart on an Ipad. The person steering uses the chartplotter. The other person looks a few miles ahead on the Ipad for shallow areas, etc. A great way to share the navigation load.

You will meet a lot of people who will become friends. Another reason to not be in too much of a hurry. Print up some "boat cards" with your boat name, your names, and an email address. Keep a list somewhere about people you meet. If you do the trip more than once, you'll see them again.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Agree with CarlN, take your time and enjoy the trip - people and places. We planned on longer stays in some of our favorite cities, but also ended staying extra days in some new found. We are so glad we didn't listen to some who view the ICW as a highway to travel down as fast as possible toward their destination of the Bahamas.
One additional item for you - being from the NE you may be used to nav marks showing the edge of the channel. The ICW marks are more like road signs - they are not at the edge of the highway, but on the other side of the sidewalk ---- on a pole in 3 feet of water.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
THIS!!!! Most of act cap is junk or totally wrong. Bob423 is the very rare exception. I could not find the App, is it android? This will make ac unnecessary
Bob posted it on his blog back in May, 2017. http://fleetwing.blogspot.com/
I'll look at it again to see if I can find it, then I'll edit.

All U Get

Got reading his info and I believe you can get his guide with Apple. It's in print and a lot of free help on his BlogSpot.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Did I read correctly that any ship over 30ft pays $300 to enter the Bahamas???? http://getawaytips.azcentral.com/bahamas-customs-passport-restrictions-2697.html
It costs half that much to fly out of Heathrow:
  • U.S. Customs User Fee:
  • U.S. Immigration User Fee:
  • U.S. APHIS User Fee:
  • September 11th Security Fee:
  • U.K. Air Passenger Duty:
  • U.K. Passenger Service Charge:
  • Per Person Total:

I don't begrudge the Bahamas for charging a fee for a cruising permit. The economy is based on tourism and that is a lot better than the old days when the economy was based on the drug trade. However, I would be annoyed if my friend on his 29'11" boat paid $150 while I on my 30' boat $300.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
It costs half that much to fly out of Heathrow
  • I don't begrudge the Bahamas for charging a fee for a cruising permit.
I certainly don't begrudge them, only surprised and I pay that Heathrow tax about 4 times a year.... -Jon

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Towing Insurance (for the ICW)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Some carriers charge stiff international fees for charges in foreign countries.
Typically 3% of the transaction. Capital One does not charge an international transaction fee. I think the one being offered by American Airlines currently, "Citi/ AAdvantage Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard" also does not, but it has a hefty annual fee.