Fishermens Village Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 41 DS Punta Gorda, Fl
We are looking to put our 376 in Punta Gorda or some place close. Any thoughts on this marina? Any recommendation on a good place to ship the boat into for re-commisioning? The plan is to live on the boat from time to time as we look to purchase a house in the area (maybe). Or decide this is not the area for us. Any thoughts on sailing the area welcome.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
The area is fantastic. Charlotte Harbor is great for sailing with access to the world. You can't beat having your boat in the backyard. Fisherman's Village is going to be pretty expensive. You might try Burnt Store Marina if you want to leave your boat at a marina. There are several areas to live around here but we are partial to Punta Gorda Isles. Good Luck! Send me a private message if you have questions or would like more local information.

Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for the reply. My wife is looking at homes in these areas where we could put the boat in the back yard. The thing is to find the house she likes with the ability to put the boat in the back

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
All American

All American is the yard to use for what you want and all boaters from the area use this yard and I have used recently and was very happy wither their service.
Punta Gorda is a very friendly boater town with many homes on many miles of canals and you will find many different homes with canals to keep a boat behind the home.
I have been sailing my Hunter 36 here in Charlotte Harbor and all over the west coast since moving down from Long Island,NY and we love it here with many great places to cruise to and many good boat clubs like the PGSC that you can check out on the web.
Check out Burnt Store marina.
Nick

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
We used to keep our Pearson in Montrose Harbor and we love it here in Punta Gorda! Lot's of Cubs & Bears Fans! I grew up in Highland Park. We are in the old sailboat section and have room for both an 19 foot power boat and very shortly we will be ownership (keep fingers crossed) of a 34. We are about 3 minutes from the harbor. Depending on the draft of you 376 there are places you want to be aware of. Also there are some area (the bird section) where it takes 45 minutes to an hour till you can raise the sails. We chose Location and rebuilt the house. PGI is very unpretentious and without a doubt the gem in the haystack.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
We spent a month (in the 90's) each at Burnt Store Marina and Fishermen's Village before we bought our home in PGI. We didn't like Burnt Store because it was so far from stores. Fishermen's is close to downtown Punta Gorda. Check out my website that includes information about Punta Gorda from a boater perspective. http://dinghytogrocerystorewestfl.blogspot.com/ We found a home in Port Charlotte that I loved, but when checking county code compliance, found it was pretty lax, some of the neighborhoods were trashy, so be careful and look around the area close to the house you are interested in. We bought a house in PGI in 1998 in the old sailboat section that is 5 min from the harbor. Punta Gorda has city codes that seem to be more strict than Charlotte county (which isn't important to everyone). We love it here.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
The thing is to find the house she likes with the ability to put the boat in the back
Lucky you. Lots of choices today. In 1998, when we swallowed the anchor, there were only six homes for sale in Punta Gorda Isles.

Can't say enuff good about PGI. City owns and maintains the concrete seawalls, dredges the inlets, maintains nav aids (with the county). city also mows vacant lots, repairs roads, top notch police and fire departments.

Jun 3, 2004
What is the old sailboat section? We are thinking about buying one of the older homes and redoing it are the older onces in the sailboat section?

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
It's called the sailboat section because there are no bridges to the harbor. Many of the homes in PGI are limited by the canal bridges, so tall power boats/sailboats can't get out to the harbor. It's called old because it is the section where the first homes were built. Many have been torn down, esp since Hurricane Charley, and rebuilt.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008

Attachments

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Slow to get to get on the booster bandwagon since I was out sailing for the last 4 days. We looked everywhere before finding this jewel. The sailing is great but it is the community that is most impressive. Everyone is a transplant meaning that we form friendships quickly and organize and join quickly into clubs or groups.

If you are looking for racing, this area has many active groups you can join. I personally, am a cruiser and just avoid any sort of racing. The club I belong to has an active racing and cruising segment. PGSCweb.com is the clubs web site.

Don't forget to look at condo's. Most have boat docks included of available. We downsized from a big home up north and haven't looked back.

Check out the new lower rates at Fisherman Village: http://www.fishville.com/marina.html

Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for the advice all. I need to order charts for the area anyone know the area number for paper charts? I looked at Garmin electronic charts for my plotter (541) $335 wow any suggestions? I am being told by folks at my yacht club up here that the water gets skinny fast down etc.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you Google Sea Clear you'll find that you can purchase all of the charts for the US for $20. For another few bucks you can get a GPS dongle to work with your laptop.

Having been involved in many GPS/laptop discussions, which tend to wander all over the place, I am NOT trying to change your mind about the "platform" you use for your navigation, but simply trying to show you a way to get inexpensive charts.

You could also download the booklet charts from noaa for free.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
5' Draft

My H-36 draft is 5' and sail Charlotte Harbor all the time and plenty room to day sailing all day,yes the deepest is aone section around 22' but the harbor is big and yes you need to know the shallow water and have never run agound in the harbor,I have a C-80 chartplotter that shows me all the water depths at all times and don't use the paper charts much which I do keep on the boat at all times.
Some one from the area told me that you can't sail in charlotte harbor and I found out from other boaters that sail here 2 years before moving here just like you are doing here.
Plenty of room for sailing in Charlotte Harbor and excess to one of the best all weather inlets out into the gulf,Boca Grand and ICW north or south.
Nick

Jun 3, 2004
Re: 5' Draft

Ok I have a possible slip at Fishermans Village, a possible hauler, time frame is early May, two yards to choose from All American and Charlotte Harbor Marine. The hauler tells me to get my insurance before I go I currently use Boat USA. Is there a better choose for Florida?

Jan 22, 2008
Ok I have a possible slip at Fishermans Village, a possible hauler, time frame is early May, two yards to choose from All American and Charlotte Harbor Marine. The hauler tells me to get my insurance before I go I currently use Boat USA. Is there a better choose for Florida?
Both boat yards are fine. They are different in pricing/rules. All American is more of an la carte menu. electric is extra, bottom washing etc. clean up if you leave bottom paint residue there is expensive, they run a neat clean yard. Haven't use CH lately, but when I did, the area where you could do your own work was priced on a daily basis, other areas were just storage or use their help AA is almost exclusively DIY, but they have a few insured contractors. CH has an excellent paint shop, AA discourages spray painting.

I have only had 2 claims in 60 years of boating. Both from hurricane Charlie. Our sailboat and my 15 whaler recieved minor damage. Boat US was prompt, and generous . They may well be the most expensive, but I wouldn't consider switching.

You are going to be horrifed at insurance rates in Florida, regardless of the company. Besides hurricanes, we have boat thieves, and a whole 3rd world culture centered in Miami and Key West that procures titles and doccumentation papers on non-existent boats ,so there is no work in claiming total loss. We also host all manner of fleeing con men who run to the Bahamas some with bank balances on their boats.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Ok I have a possible slip at Fishermans Village, a possible hauler, time frame is early May,

If you get your stuff together in time, there is a huge sailboat party at Pelican Bay (Cayo Costa State Park) over Memorial Day Weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.