Fish Finder & compass mounting suggestions ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Before:

Stormwatch came with a non functional depth/speed/wind unit, and a illuminated compass, mounted on a temporary bottom hatchboard panel. When not in use the previous owners would store in under the starboard settee with the cables attached.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of using the hatchboard, due to the risk of tripping on it, and the extra stress it puts on the cable.
The possible damage was evident when looking at the old cables.
Not to mention needing a place to stow it as needed.

Today:

I picked up a Lowrance Mark 4, which has a plastic mounting bracket.

My initial plan was having a swivel/swing arm with the fish finder mounted to it
That way I can swivel it against the starboard bulkhead or out into the companionway.
I also plan on having a 9" tablet mounted the same way. Possibly with the same thing show in this video:

After further thought, I'm considering having the fish finder externally on cockpit side of the bulkhead.
Unfortunately Lowrance doesn't have a flush mounting kit for this unit. (they do have one for the more expensive models.)
The mount that comes with it would force the unit to be 3.5 inches out from the mounting surface.

I'm thinking that possibly the best option is to make or modify a spacer of wood or plastic that fits the unit, so it can be 1.75 inches total thickness.

I could cut a big hole in the bulkhead that allows the fish finder to be partially recessed, but I'm not a fan of major holes for something that could fail and need to be replaced. 5 small holes are easily filled.

Why do I think that having the fish finder on a fixed mount, and the tablet mounted on a swing arm is a good idea ?

Tablet:
-The tablet will be used for entertainment (videos/music), in addition to chart functions.
-don't "need" to see at all times
-While the tablet is waterproof, It is not rugged enough to handle much abuse in the way of getting thrown around in the cabin.
-a swing arm would allow visibility from the cockpit, for navigation and evening movies, in addition to viewing inside the boat.

Fish finder
-need to refer to it a lot when sailing in water with unmarked shallows (common here)
-need to see it even in weather when the hatch needs to be fully closed.

Having one as a fixed mount, and one on a swing arm seem to fit intended use well, in addition to keeping the companionway free of excess obstructions.

The compass (suunto U-90 with light) will likely be externally mounted on the port bulkhead. I since it should last longer than the boat, I have less problem with putting a large hole through the bulkhead. I may get a different compass though, since this unit is so thick it would protrude all the way into the cabin.

Any Thoughts ?

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR...been struggling with what to do about this as well...and I want it in the water in 2 weeks...
at this moment I'm leaning toward a Lowrance Hook 5 which will give me depth, fish and some nav on the cockpit bulkhead, and the I-pad (not mounted) for addnl nav. Can pick up the Hook 5 & in-hull transducer here for ~ $400. Don't see a need for a swing arm mount for our use...(or any use for that matter).
Still undecided on the compass...

I'm sure you can fabricate a shallow mount for your Lowrance, and I wouldn't begin to consider flush (big hole) installation...just my random thoughts at the moment....

Ron

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yeah flush mounting the Lowrance is a bad idea IMO.
To make it slimmer, my current idea is getting some scraps of thick plastic from the local plastics company and using a router to cut a hole in the middle so the rear of the fish finder fits into it. Could also do it with scrap teak for the fancy look. If I mount the compass on the boat, the extra hatchboard would be the obvious cheap choice of material.

The idea of the swing arm was to have the tablet firmly attached to something so it doesn't get smashed around. I also figure it would be cool to be able to swing it into the companionway so you can see it from the cockpit, for both foo foo Nav, and starlight movies. (i have updated the first post to note this). But I'd also want it removable.

That said, thinking further on whether it needs to be mounted. The table is set up as a chart table with a drawer underneath,, so some type of holder that can hold it firmly in place, yet allow removal, would be good there. Maybe on the ledge against the hull beside the table. My VHF is mounted near there now.
It would simplify wiring, because the Mark 4 has NMEA out for DSC but I could also feed depth data to to the tablet just cuz i can. I wish the thing had a docking station. That would be the best option for connectivity, charging, safety from getting thrown around etc.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
After a few homemade disasters, I opted for this Ram double swing are unit... mounts to the bulkhead inside... can be swung out to a number of positions for cockpit convenience, easily swung inside for route planning and security... and is very strong. I'm very pleased with it.... shop around to find a deal... I mounted my B&G Vulcan 7 to it.... perfect.

Regarding your tablet... don't fix mount it... invest in a rugged case and some kind of quick attach/detach system... I've used Velcro before or a stand up brace, like a picture frame... something that will let you move it around easily and set down anywhere... maybe snaps. Remember, these things have poor visibility in bright light.... Once you get the Zeus, you will NEVER want to use the tablet for navigation You'll find few reasons to keep it in the cockpit once you get the Zeus up and running..... it is just too limited compared to the MFD.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
+1 to what Joe says.
I bought the same mount for my Garmin GPS Chart Plotter. Mounts inside on the bulkhead and swings into the companionway when underway. Strong enough to take bumps by someone going inside the cabin.
I have thought about a mount in the cabin for my iPad and if I did I would probably use another ram mount on the other side of the companionway so it too could swing out or in. But, I decided for my use it wasn't worth it.
For depth, my boat came with a Humminbird depth finder mounted in the bulkhead. It was bad and I thought about flush mounting the GPS but did not like the idea of cutting holes, or in this case a bigger hole, into my boat. I replaced it with another Humminbird. I could use the Garmin GPS depth function but I found the Humminbird is more accurate at shallow depths. It reads 2.5' fine. The Garmin seemed to stop reading at around 5'. With our shallow drafts I like to read the thinner water.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I am not a fan of a bulkhead mounted compass, it works good for the helmsman but typically destroys the one nice backrest in a small cockpit. My last boat had the compass mounted so it landed directly between the shoulder blades while lounging in the cockpit in the evening, this boat I am looking at putting 1 flush mount compass on either coaming forward of the winches.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Regarding your tablet... don't fix mount it... invest in a rugged case and some kind of quick attach/detach system... I've used Velcro before or a stand up brace, like a picture frame... something that will let you move it around easily and set down anywhere... maybe snaps. Remember, these things have poor visibility in bright light
The issue with viewing in bright light, is one reason why, if I did use a swing arm, I would position it into the companionway under the hatch.
There are rugged tablets, both android and windows, that are designed for sunlight viewing, but the waterproof tablet I bought, is likely not. An ipad is definitely not. The ultimate tablet solution is a true rugged, commercial unit, meant for serious outdoor use.

As for a marine MFD. I can't currently justify the long term cost. The Navionics charts on the tablet are MUCH cheaper.
That B&G Vulcan 5 and 7 looks fantastic. Thanks for the heads up ! If I ever get a MFD, it will a New Old Stock version of the Vulcan or similar. Current prices of $400 or $600 for main unit is a great price. A Hummingbird Helix currently sells for a similar price but looks inferior in every way, for use on a sailboat.

have thought about a mount in the cabin for my iPad and if I did I would probably use another ram mount on the other side of the companionway so it too could swing out or in. But, I decided for my use it wasn't worth it.
The more I have thought about this, I'm inclined to agree, even without owning a Vulcan.

If you choose to go DIY, here is one my friend made. Cheap, simple and worked out well
@hawk232 setup was what I originally was thinking about. I bookmarked his mount, back when I first started on the boat. :)

I'm torn between making my own similar setup or buying the one from digiparts/amazon which is around $23 USD (the digiparts head office is 5 miles away from me). The ram mount unit would be stronger.
I plan on heading to the digiparts store and check out their unit in person, on Tuesday.

My last boat had the compass mounted so it landed directly between the shoulder blades while lounging in the cockpit in the evening, this boat I am looking at putting 1 flush mount compass on either coaming forward of the winches.
Yeah, that was my worry. Compass in the back. I'm planning on seeing if my cushion makes it "ok".
Something on the centerline would be nice. Top of the hatch in a raised box...below the companionway step..
Cockpit coming would work. I'll have to see what available in the smaller sizes.

----------

This discussion is definitely helping. Along with some discussion with the admiral.
The thing is.... All we ever use continually, is a depth finder, compass and shore reference if visible.
We refer to the charts as needed, but don't need them in front of us at all times.

Since GPS, we have carried a handheld (currently an older garmin with bluecharts) to confirm our position, a paper chart to see the big picture, 2 compasses, depth info, and mostly use our eyes.

So.. since the boat is so small, why do I need to see the chart from the helm ?
If I can't remember the details, I can step forward and check the chart (on paper or tablet backup) and go back to sailing. Just like sailors have done for years.

Having a chartplotter of any type, visible in the cockpit all the time, could lead to laziness or a decrease of awareness.
I know I'd likely start to rely on it too much. I'm a geek.

When we were in the BVI's one summer, a couple evidently ran their boat over the reef near Necker Island. Too much reliance on the GPS and Plotter and not enough "keeping a good watch"
Kinda like the many people who follow a car GPS without paying attention to where it leads them.

The chart is a guide. The world around you is the real data.
Using depth contours is a great tool. Just watch some Keep Turning Left videos, by Dylan Winter, where he navigates shifting sandbars with traditional pilotage techniques.
It beats a GPS chartplotter any day in those conditions.

That's why I'm leaning more towards @Joe comment about simply having the tablet fit in a DIY mount down below, with no swivel arm etc.

I was searching online to flesh out some ideas.
Something like this... with it mounted to the deck liner above or hull liner behind.
A suction setup may work ok, but I'd not trust it 100%
I have ram mount suction mount lying around someplace so I may do a mockup and test it for a couple sails.

The swing arm MAY be good for the Fishfinder. No external holes.
The only problem I see with that, and why I'm now leaning towards a bulkhead mount, is that it is not visible if the hatch needs to be shut fully due to weather.
Likely not a common scenario with this boat, but when it happens, Murphy's law says I'll need to see that depth.

More opinions and ideas welcome. :)

@Gene Neill Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it.. We shall see what the locally available one is like, and if I decide to use one at all.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I am not a fan of a bulkhead mounted compass, it works good for the helmsman but typically destroys the one nice backrest in a small cockpit. My last boat had the compass mounted so it landed directly between the shoulder blades while lounging in the cockpit in the evening, this boat I am looking at putting 1 flush mount compass on either coaming forward of the winches.
hmmm, on the coaming, how, what kinda compass, would that work, not facing forward? (don't want one in my back on the bulkhead either!)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
hmmm, on the coaming, how, what kinda compass, would that work, not facing forward? (don't want one in my back on the bulkhead either!)
You can get compasses that mount flat. My bulkhead one works in any orientation.
Putting one on both sides allows viewing on either tack.

The richie explorer is actually reasonably priced, flush mount, and removable via push button.
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?6096

Ruchie also makes a "tactician sailing compass"
https://www.ritchienavigation.com/r...ies/tactician/x-port-tactician-surface-mount/

and "kayak compass" (looks like the same unit which uses a different card design)
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?6075

TackTick makes a digital one that is viewable from 2 directions, and meant for sailboat racing. Very cool but more than double the price of buying 2 "Explorer" or similar models. It could be mounted on the mast.
If you race, I'd look at the tacktick unit. The extra cost would be worth it IMO. Figuring out tacks can be done with a normal compass, but something designed for racing makes it mentally much easier.

Last edited: