First time out in 10+

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
This past Saturday was our fourth time out, ever, and first time out in 10+ wind. A respectable source from our club mentioned 15 gusting to 20. I only know there were scary whitecaps. Many of you have seen the video of @Dennis Kitchen master the H23.5 in 20kts. Let me assure you, you will not confuse that with this. So without further adieu, I bring you, "Last Saturday".

Failing to bring the boat up into the wind before unfurling the jib allowed the wind to pop the the sail open and snatch the port jib sheet right out of my hand. The sail and sheets were flapping wildly to port, and in a panic, I raced forward to retrieve them – again without bringing the boat to lee. Gripping the sheet tightly, and leaning over the open companionway, I attempted to cleat the port side, which made the boat heel , and I fell into the companionway. Lying on my back, in the quiet of the below deck, I had a moment to reflect. Why is this so hard? I bounced up, furled the jib, cleated the furling line, and then went forward to retrieve the sheets once again. I didn’t dare attempt to unfurl the jib until I could debrief myself (later that night, over a rum) on what just happened, and so we continued on the main. That was just the beginning of the excitement.

We had such a great sail the week before in 6kts, but this was entirely different. There seemed to be no room for error. Just as we were taking in the almost biblical image of a pass on our starboard side by a very splendid, white-bearded gentleman, dressed all in white, heading up wind in his blinding white boat, alone, under full, white sails - our bright orange life ring slipped its knot and drifted off behind us. "Oh God, no! Man over-board!" Then I cursed remembering the half-assed, half-hitch I tied before leaving the slip. We hadn’t even tried a MOB drill in 5kts, let alone in whitecaps. The wind seemed to be howling and I told Marsha, my steadfast helm’s woman, we would heave-to and drift back down on it. That would have been great, except, with no foresail to back, I suddenly realized - I didn’t know how to do it! So I told her to just head up and we would let the wind push us back down. That was working, but very slowly. Now, if this were a child, or an unconscious or panicked person - I’m afraid it would not have turned out well, unless I swam out 30 yards. But this wasn’t that. This was an object designed to float, and perhaps we could learn something. A "teachable moment?" So we fell off to port, centered the main, jibed, turned again, heeled over, spilled the sail – and missed it by 5 yards down wind. Damn! But now down wind, perhaps we could catch it heading upwind. So we continued on and tacked back to intercept the ring. I steadied myself on the starboard side, ready to plunge my selfie-stick-slash-broom handle and lift it out, only to watch it pass down the port side! Now it was game-on. Upwind further, we turned again to port, and then it happened – Chinese gybe! Yup, it felt like the mainsheet could have ripped out the padeye. Ok. Enough was enough. Wind 3, Great Escape 0. We decided to drop the main and motor up. But the main did not come down easy out there, it took time, and the wind blew us even further away. That’s when I noticed a huge power boat angling for my $80 ring!

In a panic, I raced below and grabbed the air horn. I aimed two blasts at the pirates but they wouldn’t bugger off! Clearly they had to know it was mine! I waived. A couple more blasts but they were determined to have it! Not knowing their intentions, the hot sun baked my brain into believing something evil was taking place. Then, another powered-pirate appeared, and OMG, nearly crashed into the bow of the first! Now there were two scoundrels after my property! I cursed and gave them two more blasts. They ignored me. I finally got the sail down and the motor started, when the second pirate motored off. Good, but with white caps looking more like rabid dogs, I didn’t dare go near the remaining boat and stayed downwind. Eventually, the captain of the power boat begrudgingly yelled, “I’ll toss it to you!” I was relieved, and felt guilty for thinking evil of him. We waited patiently for them to retrieve the ring, and finish up their business, which seemed to take forever. When the captain finally passed by, he shouted out that the second boat had cut his anchor line! He cursed the “drunk bastards” and tossed the ring. I shook my head, thanked him, and we headed in.
This is the account to the best of my recollection, no embellishments to appear any less foolish. We sat for some time over some rum, discussing what should and shouldn’t have happened. I couldn’t sleep at all that night. For certain, Marsha was outstanding. She did everything I asked. This was all on me. I was running things. It was plain foolishness to pick that time to play tag with the life ring. No one was hurt, but certainly could have been by that damn jibe! Improper life ring tying aside, the first error (inability to get the jib out) certainly led to the second error (inability to heave to on main alone), which eventually led to the accidental jibe. In retrospect, maybe I could have gotten a little piece of the jib out to heave to properly, or just drifted down slowly, or just motored around. I’m sure after reading this many other gaps will be pointed out, but the ones I recognize are…

1. Never change the sail plan without pointing the boat up wind
2. Learn a technique for controlling the jib sheets on deployment.
3. Learn how to heave-to on main alone and on jib alone.
4. Don’t rely on a half hitch to hold your LIFE RING when the wind pipes up.
5. Assume some of our power boating friends are actually good guys, but run out the guns just in case!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Uummm... I don't think you can heave to on ONE sail??? I've never tried it, but do it a lot with 2.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
2. Learn a technique for controlling the jib sheets on deployment.
3. Learn how to heave-to on main alone and on jib alone.
4. Don’t rely on a half hitch to hold your LIFE RING when the wind pipes up.
5. Assume some of our power boating friends are actually good guys, but run out the guns just in case!
No. 1 yes that is true for the main, it is not true for a furled jib/gennie. To unfurl it after you have the main up, fall off to either port or starboard and begin to pull the appropriate sheet while holding the furling line under tension either by hand or on a winch, pull the sheet and ease the furling line until the sail is out.
No 2. See no.1
No. 3 Impossible to heave to with only the main. Just put it in irons with just the main
No. 4 two half hitches will do
No. 5 Amen! Always think the best of our fellow boaters (stink potter or sailor) until they prove otherwise or you must avoid a collision. Then telling them they are number one is ok,

Keep on sailing!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
No. 1 yes that is true for the main, it is not true for a furled jib/gennie. To unfurl it after you have the main up, fall off to either port or starboard and begin to pull the appropriate sheet while holding the furling line under tension either by hand or on a winch, pull the sheet and ease the furling line until the sail is out.
No 2. See no.1
No. 3 Impossible to heave to with only the main. Just put it in irons with just the main
No. 4 two half hitches will do
No. 5 Amen! Always think the best of our fellow boaters (stink potter or sailor) until they prove otherwise or you must avoid a collision. Then telling them they are number one is ok,

Keep on sailing!
It is not impossible to heave to with only the main. That said, boats certainly vary as to how well they can heave to in general. I don't know a thing about your particular boat and whether or how well it would like heaving to on main alone. But if the notion is that one cannot, in principle, heave to with main alone, i.e., that a jib is required to heave to, that is false.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
The jib does flap around like mad when pointing into the wind and you don't have it sheeted in. Plus you'll get your sheets twisted up. If you want to pull the jib out sailing upwind, put a few turns of the working sheet around the winch so you don't lose control of it. No need to go head to wind.

Make sure you have stopper knots in your jib sheets so you don't lose them.

If youre not able to quickly get the jib under control sailing upwind, unfurl the jib downwind instead. There will be less apparent wind and it is blanketed by the main so it won't flail as much.

+15 knots/whitecaps means you probably need to reef your jib so if you want to only pull it out partially, you gotta retain tension on the furling line with a few wraps around a winch while you simultaneously pull the sheet... otherwise the whole things gonna get pulled out by the wind.

Also, try a velcro strap from WM to secure your MOB device. You don't want to screw around untying a knot when your crew falls in the drink.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
Haha! Nice write-up. We've all been there man :)

I try to keep my jibsheets on winches or cleated off to avoid the jib wrapping around the forestay. Did you have stopper knots in to stop them at the blocks?
There's a reason that pretty much all sailing schools start you off learning MOB techniques. The figure 8 method feels far more controlled in big wind for me. The quick stop is better in high seas because the 3-4 boat lengths the figure 8 requires can cause you to lose sight of your crew, or object in the water. I make a habit of practicing those methods every time I go out. Dropping sails and motoring back can be difficult to pull off quickly in big wind/seas so it's important to have those techniques down solid. As a plus, learning MOB techniques in heavy wind also gets you a lot more comfortable controlling your boat in those conditions.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good story, we had the same thing happen to us. Had 4 great sails in low wind then went out with white caps and gusts similar to you. Keep learning and plan an easy day out next to me for sure.

I'd sure like to hear how to heave to with main only too.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
The only way that I can see that you can heave to with the main only is if you can back wind the main and lock the rudder in the other direction to keep the main back winded. The reason it would be harder to is the main will probably over power the rudder.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I never *ever* unfurl my jib without wrapping the working sheet on the winch. High wind, low wind or no wind. Unless, of course, I forget to do so. And stopper knots are imperative. Just in case you have never tied one, it's a figure 8 knot. A granny knot will work but it's harder to untie. In fact, any knot at all will work.
On a side note, I guess I thought you had been sailing longer than you apparently have been. Good on you for sharing your experience. I've made more than my share of truly bone-headed mistakes. I've never fallen down the companionway but I'm sure when I do it'll be catastrophic. Thank goodness you survived that! And good on Marsha for keeping her head through it all. I'm pretty sure things would have much different with my wife and me.
Hang in there and keep up the good work!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, falling down the companionway is dangerous. I'm always closing them when people are on deck. Most think I'm overdoing it but I can name too many sailors who have fallen in. I took a tumble from the bottom step of the companionway ladder once and my ankle will never be OK again. Not worth the risk!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Great story, moderate winds and heavy sea's makes for some great experiences some good, some not so, maybe it was a good thing you didn't get your sails up as it sounds like you were not thinking of reefing. Experience teaches all of us, you returned with the same number you left with, your vessel is intact, I would say chalk this one up in the ole memory banks.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
GGordanWoody,
Great story! You have acquired some good experience there. You learned some about boat handling, some about planning, some about rigging and other vagaries of the 23.5. Now sort it all out and go out and do it again.

I have 2 hats at the bottom of stockton lake because I was over canvassed on a run in 20kts sailing solo and was no way I could reduce sail and turn around while keeping it in site in the 2-3 foot chop.

You are correct in your observation about heaving-to: the 23.5 does not want to do it with out the jib up. Perhaps it will IIRC with the main reefed. That sail is so big it takes something to balance it.
Dropping the main and motoring back to retrieve something is always a viable option, especially when your flotsam is creating a traffic jam.

It's good to know that "Murphy" doesn't just live on my boat.

Dennis

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
those videos are not showing the technique of ' heaving to ' the boats in the video are broadside to the wind and sea.
never tie safety equipment, life rings, with any knots. the are to be set up for instant deployment. figure it out.

never tie a stopper knot on a sheet. very dangerous. carry a pocket knife to cut jammed sheets.

always close all hatches before working on deck. i think you have learned this lesson.

sailling in winds to say 30 knts is fun stuff. keep practicing, it will come. practice heavy weather techniques on light days.

love your inthusiasm, sailing like skiing takes practice to get off the bunny hill.

practice mob allot. there are techniques. similar to sailing up to a mooring. can ' heave to ' to pick up the the body.

do you think you had a Santa siting. maybe he summers on your lake. Omem!

Nov 22, 2011
those videos are not showing the technique of ' heaving to ' the boats in the video are broadside to the wind and sea.
Both boats are indeed heaving to.

Read the detailed explanation of the post on the Ericson list that I provided and you'll see how it is done.
As to the original point in question: It is simply false to say that one cannot heave to on main alone per se--though it is true that a given boat may not be able to do so. But then, some boats can't heave to at all, even with a backed jib.

Nov 22, 2011
I would really like to hear the reasoning for this one????, what is better a jib sheet getting loose and having to retrieve from flailing around on the deck or worse caught on the underside around say your rudder, or having safely maintained from the cockpit???
You are correct. A figure-8 knot works well for this purpose.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the boats in the video ARE NOT ' heaving to ' anyone claiming they are does not understand the term heaving to and how the dynamics of a sailboat that is ' hove to ' works.

sorry alan, but you need to do your homework.