FIRST TIME EVER OUT SAILING

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Congrats ! no damage to boat or folks.. I'd say successful!
That has always been my mantra.

Sailing in light winds is tricky, as it is difficult to have enough wind to move the boat fast enough to steer. You end up going around in circles and never learn much about actually sailing.

Some observations: For the little bit that we could see the main sail, it did look too flat for the conditions. Loosen stuff up a bit. The sail draft depth is your transmission. Shift to a lower gear when you need more power to move ie make the draft deeper. Second trick - in super light winds, sit on the leeward side of the boat to induce a small amount of heel. This will help gravity "fill" the sails, helping the sail to keep its shape when the wind is not strong enough to fill the sails. In light winds, if you can't keep the sail shape full, you loose what little power you have. You can sail in wind you can't feel. Yes, you have to spit in the water to detect movement, but you'd be surprised at how little wind will move the boat.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Welcome to the World of Sailing! Fair winds and following seas always! -Jon

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Very, very, important!

It was really good to see in your video that the fender was on the deck ... and not hanging over the side!
Never, never go out on the boat, well, at least beyond the point where everything is taken care of topside, with the fenders out. Everyone forgets now and then and that's life, but boating with the fenders over the side is kinda un-boatsman like. Or in other words , not .... cool.

So, first time out, you done good.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
:plus:Congratulations! Nice first sailing experience, except for maybe the "no wind" part. It really is more difficult to sail in very light air. When you get out in 5 to 10 knots you will see a big difference. I really have nothing to add to everyone's comments except this. Do not get in the habit of keeping the winch handle in a loaded winch when not in use. It looks like it was kept in the mainsail winch. That could present a tripping hazard but, more importantly, a winch handle left in a loaded jib winch could cause serious harm if the pawls in the winch, ( that's what makes the clicking sound), should stick and the winch spins backwards with the handle spinning, also. It could ruin your day if it were to hit you. Nice job, though.
BTW, fenders hanging over the side is a pet peeve of mine, also. So embarrassed if I forget to bring 'em in.:redface:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Everyone forgets now and then and that's life, but boating with the fenders over the side is kinda un-boatsman like. Or in other words , not .... cool.
Yes people who sail around with their fenders out are referred to on my boat as "wankers". Don't be a wanker!

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Now, wanker takes on a completely different meaning across the pond. Unless that's what you had in mind...in hand? ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yes people who sail around with their fenders out are referred to on my boat as "wankers". Don't be a wanker!
On our boat... we call it "flying their tic tacs"... a wanker is more to the point.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Regarding coming to dock: First, it's a bad idea for somebody to jump off a moving boat onto a dock; try to avoid it. It's especially poor form for the skipper to jump off before the boat is tied to the dock. Too many things can go wrong.

Consider securing a line to the bow cleat (or a midship cleat if you have one). Bring the line back to the cockpit, outside of all other boat parts, like shrouds, the tie a fairly large loop in the line (use a bowline knot) . As you approach parallel to dock, put your motor in neutral and glide. When you pass a dock cleat, place the loop over the cleat it. This will limit the boat's forward motion and keep the bow fairly close to the dock. Then put the motor in reverse to stop the boat and also point it so that it pushes the boat's stern toward the dock (you should have your fenders deployed already). Throw it back to neutral and use a boat hook to pull your boat so that you can reach a dock cleat to tie off a line from your boats stern cleat (could be the same one you used for the bow line). You could also have a loop in the stern dock line and place the loop over the cleat with your hand or the boat hook. Now you can safely step off the boat and re-arrange the dock lines to your liking.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
On our boat... we call it "flying their tic tacs"... a wanker is more to the point.
I learned to sail out of King's Harbor. So I was taught that a boat with fenders out was "Flying the Del Ray Burgees."
Wonder what folks out of MDR call em?

:)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It's especially poor form for the skipper to jump off before the boat is tied to the dock. Too many things can go wrong.
Agreed. One of those things you only do once.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
All good advice. I agree you did a great job first time out with no lessons! You did better than I did at first. I practiced in low wind on the trailer in my backyard - lol! And that was after taking lessons. I recommend ASA (American Sailing Association) Basic Keelboat Sailing 101. It's a fun 2 day on the water course, with a written test. You get an official certificate when you pass. Very much worth doing.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Or I wasn't moving because I dont know what i'm doing lol
Perhaps, but plenty of room here in Newb School. We just learned glassy water is the curse of the mid-season. We just put her on the motor, fill the sails, and look marvelous.
What I love about sailing is its a thinking mans boat.
Sage advice there, er, Crispy, but surely you meant "drinking". Ha, no really. A thinking man or other such obscure mammal would total up the number of hours and enormous piles of cash thrown into acquiring, transporting, outfitting, docking, cleaning, maintaining, winterizing, talking and worrying, and then just watch golf on tv in his private jet.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Yaknow, if a traditional "lesson" thing isn't your style, talk up your dockmates. All sailors always need crew. A few trips on an experienced skippers boat will teach you tons about sail trim. You seem to have docking well in hand, and that's the hardest part.

Or just sail a lot... :)