First sailboat in....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nice and toasty down in FL?

Greg
It's been pretty close to heaven lately. I treasure every day it's like this. By mid June, it'll be so miserably hot and windless, we probably won't sail until October. I call it the annual "Hundred Days of Hell". ;)

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Glad you got her in. I’ve been in for a few weeks. So far I’ve been solo sailing, nobody else out.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
do you sail out of chicago?

Chicago is my big 2018 goal by end of year. I'm in Lake Makatawa, 70nm direct, 90 or so by coast around to the michigan coast line.

any of my questions about mooring/anchoring there sent to the yacht clubs and marina have gone ignored. :p

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
do you sail out of chicago?

Chicago is my big 2018 goal by end of year. I'm in Lake Makatawa, 70nm direct, 90 or so by coast around to the michigan coast line.

any of my questions about mooring/anchoring there sent to the yacht clubs and marina have gone ignored. :p
I bought my O’Day 322 from a guy in Holland. Sailed her from the marina on Lake Makatawa there to my home port in East Chicago, IN. Bill Summers was the previous owner. I forget the name of Marina (I think that there is more than 1).

I had some engine issues (and wind off the nose so didn’t want to sail), so spent the night in South Haven before resolving the engine issue and making it straight across the lake on day 2.

This should look familiar if you have ventured beyond Lake Makatawa....
20140830_122250221_iOS.jpg

If I can give you any help (not so much on local Lake Mak rules/wisdom), let me know.
I like to sail down to the Indiana Dunes, anchor off shore for the night. Pretty and peaceful.

shore2sm.JPG

Greg

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
From a power boat yep. This will be first year out in a sailboat big enough for lake Michigan.

Eldean is right at the mouth of lake macatawa, its where i'm at, on Z dock. I don't think i could be closer to the inlet if i tried :p dock z34, right out on the end.

there's the two other marinas on the other side, ones pretty cheap. might end up over there to save a grand a year ... might not. The other you actually own the dock space itself and buying a slip, not just renting it, was not remotely an option for me at this time.

Last edited: