First sail on the JY15

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbob

Jun 28, 2004
Hunter 216 -
Yesterday Carol and I took the JY15 out for a sail in the light air of the morning. We were pleased at the ease of rigging, and set out with both sails up. Our points of reference were the H216 which we once owned, and the WW Potter 19 which we have up for sale in Orlando The JY moves in breeze so light you can't feel it on your skin! When the wind picks up, it accelerates like a AA fuel dragster! :) My first tack, which occurred when we reached the opposite side of the Banana River was INTERESTING! I gave about the same rudder input I was used to doing on the Potter. Can't really say for sure how many times I saw the same scenery off the bow before I got things settled down! "Responsive" hardly begins to describe the JY! To her credit, Carol didn't "freak out" during the whole thing. This is a really nice boat, but I still think I'll try to swap it for an H146. I have NO aspirations in the racing direction, just want a small, easily deployed and stored boat to go exploring with. Bob Cowgill Cocoa, Florida

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
What about a 170 ?

The 146 was the first Hunter I have ever seen and she really caught my attention with the open transon and sleek lines but when I learned that the 146 had a BIG BROTHER, 170, WOW ! that did it for me, I have really enjoyed owning my first sail boat and there isnt a day that goes by that I don't think about sailing and how soon I can get her back in the water. I try to sail every other weekend, the off weekends are for the home details that get in the way of me sailing ! I can't retire soon enough, imagine going sailing when ever you want ! Glenn

bmwbob

Jun 28, 2004
Hunter 216 -
146 vs 170 etc.

Glenn, If you extend your logic, the 170 has a "big brother"also; the 216, which I've already owned. Very simply, I do not need the cockpit space and extra bulk of the 170 for just myself and my wife. So, if we can't make friends with our little hotrod JY15, I'll be trading her in on a 146. Bob

D

David

learned on a jy15

I learned how to sail on JY15's through a local sailing club. You are right it is a very lively and responsive boat but not very comfortable and capsizes fairly easily (but is also very easy to right). I now own a 170 which I leave at a lake about 5 hours away, so often continue to go to the local club to sail the JY's to get my sailing fix when I can't get to my boat. The high freeboard, bench seats (get cushions) and the low profile centerboard trunk certainly make the 146 a more comfortable boat for daysailng. I have only sailed a 146 once, but enjoyed it. Good luck with your choice.

L

Lamar Sumerlin

Hunter H146 - Reported surface cracks

Hi Bob, Over the past few months, there have been reports of surface cracks on some of the earlier model Hunter day sailers with ACP construction and, while I can't be positive, I think the H146 was mentioned. Please be aware that I have not investigated this any further than just reading about it but just wanted to know in case you had missed it while you have been away from the forum. Lamar

bmwbob

Jun 28, 2004
Hunter 216 -
146 surface cracks

Lamar, Thanks for the "heads up"! Back when I had the 216 and frequented these forums, I recall folks with the H170 mentioning some cracks developing around the centerboard trunk. I don't recall hearing anything about the 146, however. I had considered the lack of the fiberglass "spider-webbing" to be one of the strengths of this composite construction. I'd be sad to learn that there is a degenerative sort of malady for the plastic boats. No one has come forward as yet with a 146 to trade for the JY15. Of course, other than mentioning the possibility here, I've made no other effort to advertise my desires Shift gears: The reason for moving away from the larger boats is that the marina where we once kept the 216 rigged on the trailer is going condo. This is happening all over Florida. Access to the waterfront is rapidly becoming the realm of the "privileged class", and those who can exist under staggering debt loads. I have no where other than my side/front yard at the house where a larger boat can reside, and my wife still sticks out her lower lip when she looks at the steam-iron shaped patch of dead grass where the Potter was sitting. So, until something else develops in the area, I'm restricted to boats that can slip into the back yard behind the fence, out of sight. BTW, the thing I miss most about the 216 is it's ability to launch in VERY shallow water. Being able to leave the rudder completely out and just drive the boat out of the harbor under power made launch/retreival quite easy. The boat ramp at the marina/condo has been trashed by stinkpot operators "power loading" their boats, which has created a tall berm on the bottom just a few feet beyond the end of the concrete ramp A guy who has a J22 and a Corsair 24 at the marina has the J22 up for sale because he can't get it in the water any more. The Sailtime time-share program on Hunter 33's and 36's has just come into our immediate area. It looked like a GREAT deal at first, until you realize that as a working couple, we would only have access to the boat about twice a month for half-day sessions during the weekends when we wanted to sail. We can rent a Hunter 27 locally for $200 or so for a full day when we want to, so there is no need for the $2500 up-front fee the Sailtime program demands. The program is good for retired people, or those whose work schedules are more flexible than that of a school teacher and a NASA-contractor radio tech! So, living within the limitations of a cruel reality, like everyone else, we sail what we can, when we can. Bob

G

Geo

Sad news

It is sad to hear of yet another sailor being forced to make adjustments for power boats and the few who can afford a home on the water. More and more launches are catering to power boats, leaving us sailors fewer and fewer places to do what we enjoy so much. We too stepped down to a small boat because of slip costs, etc. and now find launching sites hard to come by unless one has a motor to get out of a channel or past an useless breaker wall. Let's all hope the high gas prices park the power boats for a good long time. I know there are a lot of them for sale where we live. I wish you all steady winds and blue skys.

Status
Not open for further replies.