First real road trip

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
I’m taking the C-22 on a long road trip this weekend.
New tires, lights work, and had bearings packed last year.
Any other things I need to watch or tips for a smooth, safe trip?
Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
A long road trip might lead to bringing a lot of extra stuff. Be conscientious of how you place stuff in the boat. No heavy stuff aft of the trailer axle. (Even a lot of little stuff could add up) Better yet, if possible, put all of the extra stuff in the tow vehicle. Towing a improperly loaded trailer could be unpleasant!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just so you know Sea-Tow and, I assume, Tow Boat USA have trailer coverage for on the road assistance. I can't speak as to the value but it's there if you want it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Take a good look at the ramp and area around and overhead before using an unfamiliar ramp. Don't let the crowds push you into hurrying. Most accidents can be traced to hurrying.

Have a great time. I'm jealous.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
+1 for all of the above and: slow and easy during the tow, don't be in a hurry.

ps. tighten all your lug nuts ... don't ask me why this is important or how I lost a wheel while picking up my boat on our first day together.... sometimes the obvious doesn't seem so obvious at the moment.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Stop around every hour for the first few hours and touch the wheel hubs on the trailer. They should be warm, but not hot to the touch and the temperature should be steady between hourly checks. An overly hot hub indicates a problem condition and building heat will destroy grease and eventually bearings. Sometimes by stopping periodically and allowing hot hubs to cool down before continuing a trip can be completed where a non-stop run may end in failure. Ambient temperature also affects so in the summer heat it is best to make frequent checks.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
A long road trip might lead to bringing a lot of extra stuff. Be conscientious of how you place stuff in the boat. No heavy stuff aft of the trailer axle. (Even a lot of little stuff could add up) Better yet, if possible, put all of the extra stuff in the tow vehicle. Towing a improperly loaded trailer could be unpleasant!
Really really good advice! Heavy stuff low down in the boat just in front and over the axle. Definitely not aft of the axle. If you can pack it into the back of the tow vehicle even better.

I towed a boat over 1800klm or around 1200 Miles in Americanese! Completely wrongly loaded and my speed was severely limited. Going above 75klm/h or 46 Miles/h also in Americanese and the whole trailer rig started to sway side to side! Reason... the load was way to far back behind the trailer axle. At thats speed it takes a whole lot longer to get anywhere and then you have great big road haul freight trucks with their own trailers trying to push past you as well.... nerve wracking to say the least!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Take a good look at the ramp and area around and overhead before using an unfamiliar ramp. Don't let the crowds push you into hurrying. Most accidents can be traced to hurrying.

Have a great time. I'm jealous.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Another very good piece of advice! Getting there should be made fun and part of the whole holiday... not a torment for passengers at the mercy of a "toolbox" driver!

Here in South Africa we have "toolboxes" for your average driver... the annual death toll is crazy for such a small country but the chief killer being = speed! There are signs placed regularly along the roads in big bold letters = "SPEED KILLS". For some reason the "toolboxes" don't believe what they read!

Here would be a very classic example of a "toolbox" with very limited driving skill and even more limited patience...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
had bearings packed last year.
stop around every hour for the first few hours and touch the wheel hubs on the trailer. They should be warm, but not hot to the touch and the temperature should be steady between hourly checks. An overly hot hub indicates a problem condition and building heat will destroy grease and eventually bearings
Amen to that. Periodic inspections of hub temperature and your trailer/boat are VERY important when towing.

Further to what Benny has said.... carry spare trailer bearings and seals, and the tools to change them if needed.
I keep my spare bearings pre-greased in a zip lock bag. Stops them from rusting in storage, and they are ready to go when needed.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
There's a lot of good advice in this thread-

Also, if you can use one of those cheap laser temperature guns - they can save a lot of greasy fingers after a day of checking hubs. Also good to keep in mind that one side of the trailer hubs may be catching a lot more sun than the other.

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
Re the spare trailer tire... don’t just look at it or push on it... instead actually check its tire pressure... don’t ask me how I know about this.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Re the spare trailer tire... don’t just look at it or push on it... instead actually check its tire pressure... don’t ask me how I know about this.
over inflation is also a problem. I have lost count how many people show up at the shop with their tires inflated past the maximum pressure. They try to get rid of the sidewall bulge by putting dangerous amounts of air in.
We have tire pressure guages in all 6 of our family vehicles

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here would be a very classic example of a "toolbox" with very limited driving skill and even more limited patience...
Interesting word. When i was younger people would call someone a "tool". I have always wondered what is the background behind it. IMO actual tools and toolboxes are great things. ;)

Am I the only one who saw that video and thought... "I'd LIKE to just keep on driving after they lost control and went off the road. That is seriously self-induced so they don't deserve help" ?
In truth, would stop, but I sure as heck would have a voice saying "no help for you"

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i've towed allot in my life. i just want to be safe. my method is to tow 3 mph under the posted speed limit. as we all know almost everyone goes 2 to 9 mph over. what this does for me is all the other cars go around and move on down the road. this gives me a clear lane in front 99% of the time. this plan has served me well through the years.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Interesting word. When i was younger people would call someone a "tool". I have always wondered what is the background behind it. IMO actual tools and toolboxes are great things. ;)
It's probably a local Saffer thing... Perhaps some mental images can put the saying into perspective: you have a tool; it's hanging between your legs... where do you like to stow your tool? .... a toolbox!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The derogatory colloquial "tool" is a person who is used by others. They are not in control of their own destiny. Don't be a "tool".

- Will (Dragonfly)