First Crab Trap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Well, after 9 years of sailing/motoring around eastern NC, My '84 h27 caught its 1st crab trap last night. Had decided to make a short run to downtown Wilmington for dinner, was only a few hundred feet short of the city docks when suddenly the engine jerked to a stop and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Styrofoam go flying in the air. Never saw the float, but got it good!. Prop was so tight could not even get out of gear, so no chance of trying to back out. Current was incoming and was drifting toward concrete dock so quickly unfurled the 110 genoa. Boat barely moved and realized I was dragging the trap, could feel line pressing on rudder. Just enough wind to clear concrete and called a friend at the marina nearby to help. He quickly came out and started a tow back to marina. He had 17 foot with a 70 hp, but could barely pull me, even with the 2 mph helping current. Finally got back and with mask and razor knife, cut the darn thing off and pulled trap line over to the dock. We then realized had hooked 5 more traps on the way and these were all nicely floating just off our docks. Some of the line had been pulled into the pilot bearing, but was able to clear. Engine started right up and prop turned freely, no vibration. I was lucky to have been on approach and had just reduced enging rpm to less than 2000. Took a quick shower and motored back downtown for dinner. Alls well that ends well.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
as much trouble as it cause's, anyone who uses floating line on their crab pots deserves to lose them....
anyone who has ever been in your situation feels the same way im sure.....
line that sinks will always be below the buoy, but when they have 75ft of floating rope in twenty ft of water, it causes problems. it cant be seen until its all too late....

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
You were lucky. Friend of mine with a similar H27 wrapped a crab trap line, at speed, around his prop and shaft last year. It bent his shaft and strut. Had to be towed, hauled, and professionally repaired. Big insurance bill and lots of lost sailing time.... Stuff happens.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
as much trouble as it cause's, anyone who uses floating line on their crab pots deserves to lose them....
anyone who has ever been in your situation feels the same way im sure.....
line that sinks will always be below the buoy, but when they have 75ft of floating rope in twenty ft of water, it causes problems. it cant be seen until its all too late....
Actually, this was not a floating line. Think what hapened was water depth was almost 50 feet, tide nearly full and line was probably short leaving buoy just below water line.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.