Finisterre-new engine/saildrive

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
6FE4BABE-8668-4696-B8FE-8AC924B468D2.jpeg
79CD3373-CE52-4640-8A31-D6087D32E2D3.jpeg
79CD3373-CE52-4640-8A31-D6087D32E2D3.jpeg Per John’s request, here are a couple pics of the new Beta 35 and saildrive. The boat is now a little bow heavy and I estimate about four hundred lbs difference between engines. I can’t calculate it as there is no specified weight for the old Volvo. Not sure how I’m gonna address that and maybe I just won’t. There is no weight to remove from the bow...Had a sea trial last wk to dial in the J-prop and I’m really close. The engine redlines at 2800 rpm I and reached 2650 at hull speed. So, still a little over propped and don’t know if I will go another notch. It might start down the other side of the curve and the adjustments are out of the water..The J-prop is a 3 blade 18” feathering prop. The Beta 38 is exactly the same engine and is “fueled down” for the 35. The 38 redlines at 3600 so I can run full bore continuously if needed. Cruising at lower rpm will be a lot quiter and more efficient..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark. That is a sweet red beast. Like some have shared. Red looks sexy.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'd like to shake the hand of whomever fabricated those engine mount beams.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
There’s a great local fabricator located in Anacortes. Extremely reasonable. I think both bearers were $225..The guy I helped with the install is a genius with engine installs. We were able to pickup every steel threaded insert in the Volvo cradle. The Beta saildrive ring is drilled for both Volvo and Yanmar patterns, so we also able to use saildrive inserts in the cradle..Love it when things work!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wondered how long that would take! I shoulda zoomed the phone up a bit..That terminal needs work and right now, I’m not sure how to physically do it and without replacing lengths of wire. There’s not a lot of room in that area. The big wires are charger, alternator, connect to other batt, and panel. The two smaller are alternator regulator sense and feed to combiner. I could probably take the smaller ones to the other battery. All four batteries are one bank. Some fuses are necessary but no room to mount within 7”. I still need to add battery temp comp to the regulator..There are fuses that can go over the wing nut stud but I’m not a fan of stacking those. Hey, I replaced the wing nuts!!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Wondered how long that would take! I shoulda zoomed the phone up a bit..That terminal needs work and right now, I’m not sure how to physically do it and without replacing lengths of wire. There’s not a lot of room in that area. The big wires are charger, alternator, connect to other batt, and panel. The two smaller are alternator regulator sense and feed to combiner. I could probably take the smaller ones to the other battery. All four batteries are one bank. Some fuses are necessary but no room to mount within 7”. I still need to add battery temp comp to the regulator..There are fuses that can go over the wing nut stud but I’m not a fan of stacking those. Hey, I replaced the wing nuts!!
You 'probably' don't have to replace any wires, but you will need to add a couple short lengths of heavy gauge wire to incorporate a main battery fuse leading to a positive buss and also that controller/regulator. Some really nice pictures and how to guide from our local forum electrical Guru @Maine Sail can be found here;
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_monitor
As long as you can back away from the battery bank a short distance to mount the terminal you won't have to cut or lengthen any of those positive leads you already have.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I showed you mine!!! Admiral wanted the cushions out of her studio so a trip to the boat was in order...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here you go Mark. Not a pretty red color, and not yet installed. But you had a few weeks lead time on me.
A4923B0A-DE53-4809-9AA9-3DC859008C8F.jpeg