Finding my grandfathers boat

May 28, 2017
Hunter Enjcnd Snsjeiske
Hello everyone, my Grandfarther built the boat in the early 1970's. It has recently come to my attention that my family would like to buy it back for him so he can sees it before he enivitably passes away.

All we have is the registration number "AB673N"

It is a half-cabin power boat.

With a 6 Cylinder Volvo engine

Thank you everyone

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Perhaps you could look through your Grandfather's pictures and find one of the boat? I think if I built a boat, I would have pictures of it. Do you know the length? Do you know about what year it was sold? Do you know in what area it was sold? Where did he build the boat? Of what materials was it built? What can your Grandfather tell you about the boat? What can your Grandmother or your Grandfather's friends tell you about the boat?
I would start with the registering authority in your area to see if you can locate the last owner. Maybe tell them you found the boat adrift or abandoned?
Otherwise, go where boats go. Go to boatyards and marinas. Walk the lots and look at boats on the hard and in the water.
Sadly, if it was built of wood or plywood, it may not be in service any more, and it may not be anywhere near presentable.

Good luck. It is an admirable quest to give him back a piece of his past and the glory of youth.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A mighty and noble quest.
You'll need to give us a bit more information as Andrew suggests. What with you from Sidney AU, it might be good to narrow down the place on the planet that your Grandfather lived and worked.

May 28, 2017
Hunter Enjcnd Snsjeiske
Hey Mate - Ive searched my Grandfathers house for some photos and documents and asked him a few questions about the boat and have come up with some more information
1. We dont know exactly but the boat was sold near mid- North coast NSW.
2. The Boat was around 26 feet
3. The boat was launched in 1973
4. The boat hull was Honduras mahogany structure with brunzeel ply cladding topped with fiber-glass resin coating.

A image of the boat is below.

Thank you all sincerely,
Sam

Attachments

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You could start with that Registration. You could ask the department of motor vehicles to search for the last owner. Technically, they should not do this, but you might find a sympathetic clerk. You could also lie and declare the boat abandoned on your property and ask the department to search for an owner in order to claim a salvage title.
Other ideas:
You could run an add in Craigslist showing the boat. You could visit marinas in the area and look for the boat. Chances are good that the boat has been either left derelict or scrapped. If you have resources, you could run an add in the paper. You could also put flyers up at marinas showing the boat. I think those are your best chances.

Hey, good work, by the way! You have a good start! Good luck.