Find my leak and win a free dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
valcour

In the plastic bag is: two seals, about ten set screws, a 2" long piece of lockwire and a wrench that belongs to allen.

I also have in my Red bag a can of Quickset concrete.

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Where is the duct tape?

valcour In the plastic bag is: two seals, about ten set screws, a 2" long piece of lockwire and a wrench that belongs to allen. I also have in my Red bag a can of Quickset concrete. paulj :troll:

I am concerned you don't have a complete kit. Perhaps the 310 group needs to get up a collection.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Not sure about the rest of the 310 crowd but, I'm a little bit hungery.......

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
OUCH

Hey Paul, I hear you.... I would love to buy that dinner, but as of yet I have not located my leak despite all the help. I just today received in the mail some top secret water coloring dye. I tried the food color dye and it didn't show up and disapated very quickly. This dye is supposed to have a half-life similar to Iodine-129 :eek:which will hopefully get me some good intel on where that leak is coming from if its Raw water intake related. Thus far I have ruled out the exhaust thru hull and most of the hose, all the other thru hulls because I can see them and have kept them closed while testing. My current theory is possibly the water might be coming up through the bilge dump and leaking in on that line somewhere. I seem to see the water entering into the shallow flat bilge just in front and surrounding the engine bilge first then spreading forward bilge by blilge. The area under the shower sump seams to be moist when looking upside down and peering towards it with a flashlight, but I think I am going to remove some floorboards which is a pain on that port side to have a closer look. So you find me still seeking someone to feed and with my bilges still soggy.

Yours in wetness and hunger,
The Truckman

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
Did you see the recent Rudder thread? It suggests salt water may intrude via the rudder shaft, if the gland is loose.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Gotta jump in with this

Truckman, there is always duct tape (I bet Paul keeps a roll in the red bag in the port lazerette)

Seriously Paul, the ziploc bag looks like it only has the single black&white 90 degree Caterpillar looking thingamagigee. What type of spare is it and how is it used?
I know this is blasphemy against duct tape, but wouldn't that silicon tape that sticks to itself, is water tight, etc be better? I picked a roll up Sunday while I was in Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-treme-tape-96807.html) as they had it for $5.00 a roll.

Sep 29, 2009
Jon, Thanks that one is on my list although there seems to be no evidence of a leak from that area. I plan on checking it when I have someone to go out with so I can be down there looking when at a good heel. The other thing I am thinking about is water coming in at the hull deck joint somewhere. Still hunting thanks for the heads up. If your interested in going out sometime let me know. I have good availability midweek when my son is in school. Let me know.

dave

Did you see the recent Rudder thread? It suggests salt water may intrude via the rudder shaft, if the gland is loose.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
"#5 After a 1 hour cruise motoring only in calm waters the bilges are now full with salty water."

No heel here? or were you motor sailing in strong wind?

BTW, If you leave the head sink drain through hull open when heeled to port water will come in and overflow the sink.

Sep 29, 2009
Witzend, I am thinking more and more that water is coming in from the rudderpost its been pretty windy 25-40 knots the last few days so I have not been out yet but the bilges remain bone dry with lots of rain with the boat in the slip for the last week. I hope to try a motor first while observing the rudder post and while on heel port and starboard. I have checked every area that you can physically get to without pulling up floor boards and have all the seacocks closed except the engine cooling water and everything looks very dry. I am stilll looking..............Hope to try the above with talc powder or dry erase marker to see if I can detect where its coming from.

Dave

With the head sink drain open I have never had water showing in the sink that I can recall.

"#5 After a 1 hour cruise motoring only in calm waters the bilges are now full with salty water."

No heel here? or were you motor sailing in strong wind?

BTW, If you leave the head sink drain through hull open when heeled to port water will come in and overflow the sink.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I believe the top of the rudder post is well above the water line, even on a good heel.
My sink will over flow if you stick the port rail in the water with the cock open.
What about the door seal from the raw strainer?

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
I seemed to have had some water coming in from there after a hard sail. After tightening the loose packing screws a bit - no more water.
See permalink

Sep 29, 2009
Jon, I finally got out to check the rudder post for leaks. As I got the boat up to speed I went below and low and behold a nice stream of water coming from the packing gland. It was pretting rough out there today so I will tighten it up tomorrow morning. Thanks all for contributing to this thread. Jon how bought you meet me at Tides or the boat at Murphy's and I will buy you dinner and a beer. As for Albanach email me your address and I will send you something for your assist. Thanks again.

Dave

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
So what you are saying is that, in a static state the rudder post packing gland's height above the water line keeps it from leaking, but underway water is forced through the seal due to relative motion between the water and hull.

Sep 29, 2009
Yes when at the dock or low speeds while motoring the back of the boat doesn't squat down much, but at higher speeds the top of the rudderpost at the packing gland is below the waterline and water was coming in at a steady rate. I have tightened them down a bit and will see if that stops the leaking. I tightened them up too much and it really affected the ease of steering so I backed it off a touch. I think it will involve a little experimentation to get it right. Maybe worse case repacking the gland

So what you are saying is that, in a static state the rudder post packing gland's height above the water line keeps it from leaking, but underway water is forced through the seal due to relative motion between the water and hull.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Thanks for your kind offer, truckman. No need for rewards, I am just happy that you found the leak and (hopefully) have been able to fix it. Also glad, that I could return somehow advice received from forum members on some of my problems.

Don’t over tighten, just a bit more than fingertight (as per Catalina’s suggestion in the link). It worked for me. I had the water coming in when heeling about 45 degrees – didn’t realise that this could also happen when motoring. My packing screws, before tightening, could easily be loosened with 2 fingers.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
Dave -

Good to hear you found it. I have been AWOL from this site (work and family stuff). We will have to get together and share 310 stories. Serendipitous that the rudder thread and your problem coincided. I had my prop shaft replaced in March, and the rudder got pulled and re-installed. I suspect I might have seen some issues one of these days, but the re-install probably addressed it for me for awhile.

Still, I will now have an item in my knowledge base for future reference.

Let's connect after the New Year? I still wanna talk you into the YC in Gig Harbor:)

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"

Sep 29, 2009
Jon, I will take you up on getting together after the New Year. I'lll send you my email so we can get in touch easier. What I found leaking is the mid bearing not the packing between the upper and mid bearings. The lower bearing called the mid bearing inside the boat was not properly sealed and was leaking up the rudder post and out through the mid bearing and the fiberglass below it. I sealed it up this past week with some 4200 and will take it out after Christmas to check for leaks. Talk to you later. Happy New Year.

dave

Dave -

Good to hear you found it. I have been AWOL from this site (work and family stuff). We will have to get together and share 310 stories. Serendipitous that the rudder thread and your problem coincided. I had my prop shaft replaced in March, and the rudder got pulled and re-installed. I suspect I might have seen some issues one of these days, but the re-install probably addressed it for me for awhile.

Still, I will now have an item in my knowledge base for future reference.

Let's connect after the New Year? I still wanna talk you into the YC in Gig Harbor:)

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Where is the mid bearing and why would the bearing provide a seal and not the packing. I posted the only drawing I have right now, which is the C34. The 310 is probably similar. Please mark on the drawing where your leak problem was if you have the means and re-post. Thanks,

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My friends and I had a tough time finding that the muffler was leaking. Tiny pin holes were spraying an amazing amount of water. Even back there with a flashlight we couldn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.