FINANCIALLY Speaking in which state should you retire?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As I step on to the door step of retirement, I am getting barraged with information regarding the costs of the next step. These interesting reports suggests I have chosen poorly, from a tax perspective. What about you? What are your thoughts?

I know this is aimed at the ultra rich... no I have not won the lottery. But I figure, maybe I can learn something from their world. Kind of like the ‘trickle down theory’.
Hoping it tickles down far enough....

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
we knew it would be tough, so we moved to TN when we downsized 5 years ago. 25 years in VA, close to the boat and the jobs...and we instantly saved over 25% just in state tax. Now the "sales" tax is 9% but if you lower your spending, came with downsizing for us, you can lived nicely on a fixed income and still save a few bucks towards old age.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As I step on to the door step of retirement, I am getting barraged with information regarding the costs of the next step. These interesting reports suggests I have chosen poorly, from a tax perspective. What about you? What are your thoughts?

I know this is aimed at the ultra rich... no I have not won the lottery. But I figure, maybe I can learn something from their world. Kind of like the ‘trickle down theory’.
Hoping it tickles down far enough....

John, if you have to worry about estate taxes, you really need a tax attorney and accountant. https://elder-law.com/estate-and-gift-tax-thresholds-set-increase-2018/

It will come as a surprise to some, for our situation, where we live in NY is the best option. Yeah, NY is supposedly a high tax state, but they treat retirees reasonably well. Any government pension, SS, Fed pension, NY state pension is tax free. In addition $20,000 of other retirement income (IRA distributions) is also tax free. Where we live, an older suburb near Syracuse the houses are modest and the property taxes low. If the retiree's income is below ~$86,000 there is a discount on the school taxes. Living expenses are also very modest.

If we were to move to a low tax southern state we might save on taxes but we would be forced to buy property (or rent) that would raise our monthly expenses. We're not willing to do that. Also, our boating expenses are very low. We have a nice dock in a good marina that is very affordable. Our annual expenses for dock, haul out, and winter storage is less than the summer dock fees at Buffalo area marinas.

The downside is the summer season is short and winter is snowy. But if you don't have to go to work the snow is not a big deal.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I loved living in New England and I TDY in Washington for awhile too, but I would never ever move back to those areas to retire. Living in Alabama has been a huge positive financial improvement for my family and most likely we will stay in the TN, AL, FL area for the foreseeable future. I have plenty of time so we are sort of watching the gulf coast areas to see what a target area to buy / move to would be down the road. If the dream and plan come together then we would look at a 40+ newer boat on the gulf with a home close by.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We moved to Florida 18 years ago. We worked for the first 8 years and are now fully retired. There is no income tax and sales tax is about 7%. Some say property tax is higher but we are paying about the same as up North. We sail a 30 foot boat with a 4 foot draft and can stay out as long as we want. Our whole reason to move here was to sail and we can on Charlotte Harbor. We are very happy and comfortable and I hope to leave this home in a box.

PS it's 82

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have zeroed in on South Carolina from a Massachusetts residence. Although I thought that we would save a pile of money, the reality is that when we move we are likely to stay about even. Property taxes are low, but sale tax can be higher, water costs are higher, and homeowner insurance is 3x higher for a home worth less than our present home. Huge difference on sales tax for cars, boats, and (I think) airplanes. Car sales tax is capped at $500. Utility costs are lower by 50%.
But despite the lack of savings on living expenses, we think we will like the year-round climate better.

Oct 22, 2014
Rich, I have a great friend that left California (Bay Area) to retire in SC. We visited with them last spring, and they love it. He’s become addicted to golf, and there are a plethora of opportunities.

For him, he feels best part was to sell a house with a mortgage and buy a house mortgage free. I am wondering if the sales tax is a good idea as you can control your purchase options to some extent but you have almost no control on your income level once set.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I like @Stu Jackson response but the Admiral is hesitant to move away from friends. I tell her she won’t loose the good ones and will make new ones but still digging in the heals. And I’m only talking about 100 miles.

Les

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I haven't seen anyone hype Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota. These are wonderful places to live independently in retirement. No kidding.
Just, like anywhere, rent before you buy.
I also didn't see anyone talking about health care. As we age, good health care becomes much more important.

Oct 22, 2014
I like Wyoming. Beautiful state really nice people. Only issue. Way far from ocean sailing.

Oct 1, 2007
I like Wyoming. Beautiful state really nice people. Only issue. Way far from ocean sailing.
When it is time, we will all carry the anchor inland until we find someone who asks us "...what's that?..."

Oct 22, 2014
Right now I hope that is a long time in the future.

Oct 1, 2007
When it is time, we will all carry the anchor inland until we find someone who asks us "...what's that?..."
Actually, it's an oar....not an anchor....getting close myself I guess.... :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We have zeroed in on South Carolina from a Massachusetts residence. Although I thought that we would save a pile of money, the reality is that when we move we are likely to stay about even. Property taxes are low, but sale tax can be higher, water costs are higher, and homeowner insurance is 3x higher for a home worth less than our present home. Huge difference on sales tax for cars, boats, and (I think) airplanes. Car sales tax is capped at $500. Utility costs are lower by 50%.
But despite the lack of savings on living expenses, we think we will like the year-round climate better.
@Rich Stidger ,
Welcome (in the near future) to South Carolina. I’ve never really lived anywhere else and am proud of our state. We’re not perfect but who is? Where in SC are you looking to settle down?

Oct 22, 2014
Be careful Rich... Kermie has a damaged wing. It now sounds like it happened in South Carolina. Take care not to get sucked into the damaged wing vortex. That may be how South Carolina gets their recruits. They get you there with their sweet talk and smiles then keep you there like Kathy Bates did to James Caan in the movie Misery.