Registered users don't see ads

Finally!!!!!

Discussion in 'SSB and Ham Operators' started by Brian D, Oct 9, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,547 posts, 351 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US Oceanside, Ca MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    If you remember from last year I built a box for my SSB? If not, here is an image of that project.

IMG_20160424_120955.jpg

Well, it wasn't long after this work of art that my SSB failed. So much for that. I decided instead of a Kenwood TS50, I would get an Icom IC707. It is very similar to the Icom IC718 in fit, form, and almost function. The radio has fewer bells and whistles which is fine with me.

So I start to build a new box for that radio. Took forever due to lack of motivation, but I finally finished it. I still have to wire it for power, but the hard work is done.

I present to you, my new "comm" station...

IMG_0334.jpg

I have added power switches to ensure I did not leave something on to drain the battery. The three switches are not labeled yet but the will be (L-R) SSB - VHF - GPS. The small meter under the VHF (far left) is power/current. The GPS is used for the VHF's DSC.

Now, to finish this up, put it in the boat, and get the antenna project done. Motivation has returned.

kloudie1 likes this.
  2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    What about the fancy wood sim trim?

3. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,547 posts, 351 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    Replaced it with the fancy white sim vinyl. The wood trim made the boat seem dark. LOL

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    That's only because you stuck it in front of the sunny port. You need to hide it in a corner. Then the sun can shine in and reflect off the white of the wood trimmed cabinet.:biggrin:

5. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,984 posts, 121 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westborough Westport, MA
    Nice job! Looks great.

6. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,547 posts, 351 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    Power on test!

IMG_0340sm.jpg

Everything seems to be OK. Didn't test the Tx function of either radio. I'll do that on the boat. However, I do have one issue that is bugging me. I do not have an accurate shunt and it is showing 300ma lower than what my clamp on amp meter is reading. I am sure there is a way to fix that so I will have to do a lot of research. But for now, looks like this project can be put to bed.

7. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,340 posts, 116 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    Good for you! Finished off the waterproof box for the tuner yesterday and hauled everything to the boat with hopes of an install tomorrow.

Brian D likes this.
  8. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,547 posts, 351 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    Whoot! Sounds good @Rick D. I have to test using dipoles when I get to the boat. I still need to run coax and tuner control cables aft. I have all the parts for an external 35.5' (plus GTO-15 cable) install. Now that "winter is coming" I can work without dying of heat. LOL

My research is showing me that I will need to nip some of the shunt resistor to bring the current value on the meter up. Have to be careful not to nip too much. I don't think I have a spare one. I thought I bought 2 but does not look that way. We'll see.

Rick D likes this.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.