Finally got to see the C350

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

Saw the C350 at the Boats Afloat here in Seattle today. I really liked it. There was a C36MKII a few slips over so I was able to go back and forth between them. The 350 is so much like the other Florida Catalinas, high broadsides, lots of headroom and that non-skid that looks like paint. I thought from the plan that the forward starboard seat in the salon would be out of the "conversation" so to speak but that wasn't the case at all. Where the C36's salon space is lengthwise the 350's is widthwise. Going from one to the other, the lower headroom in the C36 was immediately noticeable. And entry into the C350's cabin is as easy as the 320, no galley in your way. The berth in the forward stateroom could be a bit tite for two but is quite spacious for one unless you're over 6 feet tall I guess. The head was great though the shower is on the small side (aren't they all?) but a shower is doable for sure. What is nice is not having to bend over to use the sink. the aft stateroom has a smallish door but the space itself is good and there is more vertical room over the berth than in the C36. The cockpit is huge and storage abounds and I especially like the location of the primaries, just a foot forward of the helm and it's easy to get around the wheel too. So, tomorrow I'm going to part with some of my money I guess and with the dealers and the lenders being sort of hungry and Catalina throwing in $5000 worth of extras (I decided on the MW, 3 blade prop,leather wheel wrap, Raymarine wind, spinnaker and gear and I still have 1200 to spend)during the show I guess now is the time to get the best deal.

G

gk

cat 350

bill, i have hull #2 and i think you are making a great decision. we are really enjoying the boat. we're in our first regatta next weekend. what is the wait for a 350 now? gk

B

Bill

Hi GK, there is no waitng anymore................

as I wrote a check today and the boat will be here in Nov. Catalina was throwing in 5000 worth of goodies during the boat show and I had no problem spending some of Frank's money and with an interest rate of 6%, how can I lose. I am interested to hear how your toilet is working though. With a toilet that uses only 1 pint of water per flush and a vertical rise of amost 4' to the tank...............needeless to say, I am a bit concerned about that. I do think I will swap out the standard size toilet for the household size bowl as I am planning to live aboard and that thing is just too damn small for this butt. I also ordered the dinette to berth conversion which includes the 2 person bench that sits in the middle of the salon. If you have that as well, can you tell me if it contains any storage under the seat?, it would be a great place for pots n pans or linens. I also got the 3-bladed prop but will eventually install an Autoprop and I went for the additional water tank as well. With the options I added I still had 1100 bucks of the 5000 to spend so I chose the leather ....in white, should look pretty spiffy. Enjoy your boat and perhaps we can compare notes soon.

S

Steve Mielke

C350

I SAW A NEW C350 IN WISCONSIN FOR 137000.00, WHAT IS YOUR PURCHASE PRICE?

B

Bill

Steve, here's the total

122,526 commissioned and delivered in Washington state and then Catalina threw in 5000 worth of goodies as a show special bonus. Base price was 122,300 for the commissioned boat with std features and as part of the freebies I chose the microwave, canvas package, dinette to berth conversion, additional water tank, 3 blade prop, leather wrapped wheel, vhf with ram mic (intrepid), st60 wind package. At this point I had 900 left from the 5000 so I paid another 226 and got the ultra leather. There were two Catalina dealers at the show. The one I bought from displayed the special bonus prominently, the other didn't and threw in about 2000 worth of stuff and was keepin the other 3 I guess. As they both offered about the same price, my dealer in effect was 3000 less. This was the second Catalina I ordered from this particular dealer , the first boat fell thru (I had some uncollectible clients))and the dealer returned all my money (he didn't have to) which is primarily why I dealt with him again. Even if he was 3000 higher I still would buy from him.

J

Joe

Catalina 35

Hi Bill, The C35 sure has a lot of appeal! I wonder if it is available to be seen in the SF Bay area. I hope you can help with some questions. I'd like your opinion of best use for a Catalina 35? Is it best limited to coastal cruising or is it something you would feel safe in across oceans? Also, I understand they offer a furling main... did that setup look ok & did you order it? I like the idea of it having a double bow anchor chain locker & a windlass. Is the windlass in the locker or on deck? Does it have any setup for handling a stern anchor? Final question is whether additional fuel capacity is offered as an option? Thanks, Joe

B

Bill

Joe......

I know there's a dealer in Marina del Rey that sold one to a buyer that still keeps it at his marina and it's available to see, you can find him on yachtworld.com. I was going to fly down and see the boat there but then found out it one was going to be at the show in Seattle. I'm planning to live aboard my boat and sail it on the sound , the san juans and inland passage. Not planning any jaunts to Hawaii but I think it's CE rating is A. You can get either a furling mast, about $ 2800 or a furling boom, around $ 7000. I personally would never get a furling mast, I think they're nothing but trouble just waiting to happen and I think a furling boom would look ok on a 70' boat but on a 35 footer it would probably look too big for the boat. The windlass is located in the chain locker but the top of it protrudes through a hole in the locker cover, it's unobtrusive. There's no additional fuel tank offered but there is so much cockpit and stern storage that I'm sure you could find a place for another fuel tank. In the next year I plan to install an Autoprop autopilot, gps and a dodger. I'm not fond of how a dodger looks on a sailboat but I guess it's a necessity here in the Puget Sound area.

J

Joe

Bill, a couple add'l questions on the C35

Hi Bill, Seems like a lot of boat for the money! Some additional questions: You mentioned the non-skid... they don't use moulded-in non-skid? Is their system better or as good as moulded-in non-skid? Do you know the factory offerings for radar, autopilot, feathering prop and high-output alternator... and costs? For the main, did they offer full batten and single-line reefing? Also, about the large cockpit... could you easily brace against opposite sides when sitting? Does the boat come with a cockpit table? I guess they offer Edson steering.. not Whitlock Cobra? I'll have to try to find with one in the SF Bay area. Thanks for all of your information. It seems you bought a fine boat... yacht! All the best! Joe

R

Rick

Joe, It is here in the SF area

Joe, the 350 is here in the SF area. I saw it yesterday at the Boat Show at Jack London Square. It was being presented by Farallone Yachts, and I'm sure you can see it there after the show. It is worth a look at, especially if you are tall. The head room was amazing.

B

Bill

Some more info for you Joe....

It is a lot of boat for the money, especially when you compare it to the more expensive Hunter 356,which has the Whitlock steering. The 350 has the Edson...........I think. The non-skid on the boats built in Florida looks like a painted on type but it could be moulded in that way, you'd just have to ask. It's not as good looking as the moulded-in non-skid but I think it actually has better grip and would certainly be easier to match if you had to repair it. There's a dealer in FL who lists all the options and their prices on his website, www.gatewaysailing.com, that should help ya a lot. I'm assuming the electronics he is showing are all Raymarine. I'm not getting the cockpit table this time. I ordered it with the C36MKII last year and it was definitely "in the way". The difference with the 350 though is that the pedestal guard projects only out of the top of the pedestal so there's nothing below it to mount a folding table to so I'll need to figure something out.For sitting at the dock, a simple folding table with rubber feet would suffice...and be very inexpensive. The cockpit is wide and yes I think people will have a hard time stayin in place in a heel but I like the openess and ability to get around while sailing. I am planning to make a teak grate for the floor and integrate a spline to brace against so it's not a big issue for me. Besides, I don't care if people bang around the cockpit, just so I'm having fun and it'll be good exercise for the thighs and calves. Rick mentioned the headroom in the 350. The boats built in FL all have the taller topsides and this is most noticeable when you visit the 350 and then go aboard a C36 afterwards. I like the additional headroom (I have some tall friends)and especially the added height in the aft stateroom. Speaking of the staterooms, are you aware that real mattresses are standard in both?, that's almost 2000 bucks right there on the aftermarket. Also, it is set up for single line reefing which is something I don't expect to have to do too much of.

S

Steve Wark

Cockpit table notes

I also seem to have ordered a 350 this weekend... As for the cockpit table, two things... The pedestal is the Edson Diamond, and Edson tables often have a Diamond version... The thing I liked about the Catalina supplied table, was the stainless bar under the table... It looked solid enough to provide a place for a passenger to brace their feet when heeled...

B

Bill

Steve..........

Yes, the Catalina table is a nice one (it also ain't cheap) and I believe that's exactly what the stainless bar is for, bracing but I liked the spaciousness of the cockpit so much that I don't want a permanent table there. I'm sure there is a way to attach one of those folding tables to the pedestal. As for bracing, I'll figure something out . Meanwhile, people will be able to brace off the opposite side (once they slide off the seat and onto the cockpit floor LOL).

B

Bill

Steve, something else..........

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that any of Edsons drop-leaf or fold-down cockpit tables will mount to the "Diamond" series console pedestal...........yay!

A

Andy

Catalina 350

We have Hull number 3. The Catalina 350 is fast, responsive, roomy and all around, a very well designed sailboat. We did not get the cockpit table so the roomy cockpit would remain just that. Wish we did have some drink holders though! We have sailed the boat in gust winds 21+ knots with the 135 and no reef in the main. What a blast! Having all lines leading aft and oversized self tailing winches makes the boat very manageable in all conditions. We have the leather wrap wheel, ST60 wind system, the ST-5000+ auto-pilot, the Ray Marine RL70CRC+ radar/chartplotter at the helm (aftermarket), a Dodger and Bimni. (Bimni custom made local). We also went with the white ultra-leather interior which looks great and is very comfortable. The double berth conversion is very large. But...the cushion section that is placed on the dinette table does slide around a bit on the table with body weight. So, sometimes there is an uncomfortable crack where the cushion joins the settee cushions. Catalina should put Velcro strips along the sides to maybe prevent this. I went out and bought some to accomplish myself. I was planning on getting an Autoprop at some point in the future so we ordered the boat with the standard two blade prop. After operating the boat, I just might put the Autoprop money elsewhere. It handles very well under power both around the dock and underway. There is plenty of storage inside and out. The shower/head area rates a 10. The boat has an 11 gallon hot water tank which is also a real plus. The boat shows well but to sail it and stay on it for a while is the best. I am starting an official owners association. Please let me know if you owners and owners -to-be are also interested in this. I would be glad to answer any questions about the boat. Andy

B

Bill

Tell me Andy....................

Do you have the fin or wing keel? Do you use the outboard ref compartment as a freezer only and if so, how well does it work ? Does the toilet and tank set-up work well and do you feel a single flush is rinsing out the hose? I took a simulated shower on the boat at the show and it was tight but if I sit down there is plenty of room and there would be less splashing outside the stall I'm sure, do you find this to be true? Is the bench that comes with the dinette to berth conversion just a 4 legged bench or is it a box with storage? Any other observations you can make are appreciated. I would be very interested in an Owners association and you can e-mail me at wmgottlieb@earthlink.net

A

Andy

Answers to 350 questions (long)

Do you have the fin or wing keel? Answer: Wing Keel.. I was going to order the full keel... then after thinking about it; we figured we would like to have more flexibility for our cruising trips so we went with the wing keel. It tracks and points very well... (Surprised me!) Do you use the outboard ref compartment as a freezer only and if so, how well does it work? Answer: We use it as freezer and fridge. Works very well... accidently froze two beers already... Does the toilet and tank set-up work well and do you feel a single flush is rinsing out the hose? Answer: After flushing toilet, we usually let a little more water in bowl by lifting up on the pedal. Then flush again... The hose seems to rinse out fine. It is brand new boat however so let’s wait on that one. I took a simulated shower on the boat at the show and it was tight but if I sit down there is plenty of room and there would be less splashing outside the stall I'm sure, do you find this to be true? Answer: agreed, plenty of room sitting down. Water does go under the shower door. This does not seem to be a problem though. The shower overall is terrific. The 11 gallon hot water tank can make ya' feel right at home too! Is the bench that comes with the dinette to berth conversion just a 4 legged bench or is it a box with storage? It is just a 4 legged bench. It slips around to on the floor if you don't have any weight on it. Don't know how much I like the design of the double berth conversion arrangement overall. If I had to give out plus and minus, this would be (and may be the only one) in the minus category. It is a very large berth when it is all arranged. We have had 4 kids with room for more all lying across the width of the boat. I have slept on it twice very comfortably. It just seems to have a rather odd shape. Also, the cusions that cover the dinette seem to slip around a bit creating a crack. We bought Velcro and hope to fix this soon. The bench sticks into the cabin further than the rest of the berth.. (I have the bench against the head bulkhead I think that is where it goes?? Any other observations you can make are appreciated. The boat is stable, heels pretty quick (with the wing keel anyway)... digs in and takes off. The 350 is a very good club racing boat. We have Already done it and placed very high even with more "dedicated" racing type vessels. The 350 is an excellent cruising boat. The boat offers plenty of livability both at the dock and underway. It drives like a car in reverse for docking and so forth. It does take a bit of momentum though to get it turning. Then it is a piece of cake. Did you purchase a 350 yet? I will e-mail you regarding the owners Association. Take care, Andy

B

Bill

Thanks Andy..........................

I really appreciate all your comments and fell like I have made the right decision. I placed a deposit on a 350 this past Sunday and it's due in to the dealer in Bellingham in Nov and I expect to bring it down a few weeks after that...........that'll sure be an invigorating sail!

J

Jack

C-350 Owners Association

We are interested in joining the C-350 Owners Association. Please add jackm1954@comcast.net Thank you Jack

B

Bonnie

RL70CRC Plus

Andy Did you look into the SL70CRC Plus? Did you install or have a dealer? Did you install the radar dome? Just ordered a 350 and I am trying to decide if I want a SL or RL unit.

A

Andy

RL70CRC+

I bought the RL70CRC+ and the 2kw radome and mount. The dealer bought the radome and mount for me at the same discounted price I was quoted aftermarket so they could facilitate the stepping of the mast. I then bought the RL70CRC+ through BoatUS at a great price. We just completed our first trip using the RL70. It is as great as its reputation. I have two C-Map NT cards. The system is just amazing. At one point, I used the RL70 to navigate into a channel. It was dead on I mean right there. I am rated Commercial Jet Pilot. This chart plotter and radar system uses much of the same technology as the equipment in a modern day aircraft. I will at a much later date use the HSB2 to add a display unit at the Nav Station. The RL70CRC+ provides that capability. You never know what you might want to do down the road. I had a marine electrician install the RL70CRC+, not the dealer. The job looks like it was done at the factory. My only problem is that the ST5000+ will no longer engage. I have no idea why. RayMarine has been terrific in trouble shooting thus far and will do what ever it takes to get the system completely functional under their warranty program. Brief note...RE: The berth conversion I have been somewhat complaining about... The short posts would not come out of the table... so a little bit more effort in lifting it up caused one of the post holders on the bottomm of the table to rip right off screws and all. I am sure there was a problem in the placement of the mounts for the posts on this particular table. It never really seemed to fit right (in the berth conversion, okay as a table). Anyway, I now believe I will need a new dinette table. I will keep you posted. I still can't say enough about how this boat sails and handles. Let me know which RayMarine unit you purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.