Finally a leak

RNC725

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 326 Lake Thurmond, GA
We bought our 2002 Hunter 326 in August of 2018. Opened her up today after a ton of rain days over the last month and the starboard berth mattress is damp midway up. Also a small bit in the same mattress under the starboard hatch handle. I'm assuming the leak is in the hatch so I plan to take it out, clean everything and reseat her. Anyone know of any issue with the 326 up front?I

Thanks in advance guys, tomorrow is supposed to be mid 60s and 10-15 so we'll sail and dry out!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Only damp midway up? Not too bad. Soaking wet or water on the sole would be more concern. I think your treatment is a good plan. Don't forget that even high humidity with condensation can make a cushion damp. Does your cushion have a cloth or vinyl bottom? Cloth can absorb moisture from underneath if there is a condensation issue. Do you stand the cushions up to ventilate?

Dec 12, 2018
Hunter 340 Panama City, Fl.
Hi!

I feel your pain! Nothing is more iritating or hard to find that fresh water overhead leaks. My best advice is to get those cushions topside in the sun and breeze and dry them out. I bought a small Frigidaire dehumidifier that seems to work great. It can also plumbed to go into a drain so it never needs to have the bucket emptied. While I have a heat pump that can take the humidity out of the boat, I don’t believe in letting it run when I am not aboard. Great way to sink a vessel...

My boat is brand new to me, so I am finding leaks and working at stopping them. One is from a hatch. Hoping I can get it stopped without taking out a hatch!

Don Coleman
2001 H340 ‘Defiance’
Panama City, Florida

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I've a 2002 h326. Below are places I found leaks,
-Windlass shaft leaks to v-berth
-Windlass Up/Down buttons screws leaks to v-berth
-Coach roof screws (12x) leaks to saloon shorting lightings and wetting nav-station
-Helms station deck screw leaks through rear berth
-Starboard deck-hull joint leaks to rear berth

Ken Y

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
While you are at it check for possible run off from the galley sink and counter top.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
on my H26 I have two leaks on the post side. I know one is the opening port in the head. The other seems to be forward of that one. This summer I took off all of the stanchions and bedded with butyl tape. That seemed to slow the forward leak. I also pulled off the outer flange of the opening port and bedded that as well. That did not seem to help. Also, the water that leaks in is DARK BROWN! :yikes:

Any clues what that is all about? I asked Crazy Dave if the deck was cored and he said it was not so it isn't rotting wood resin or tannin. Why dark brown.... I mean like chocolate brown water. It does not have a bad odor so I really don't know what that is about. Could it be breakdown of the original bedding compound?