Registered users don't see ads

Fiddling with Fids

Discussion in 'Sails Call Lounge' started by Brian D, May 10, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jerry Clark H356 SV Persi

Jerry Clark H356 SV Persi

Joined Mar 3, 2003
    610 posts, 40 likes
    Hunter 356
    US Grand Rivers
    Brian D: Look at the Marlow rope splicing video on YouTube. It’s different, but I got really close to actually making one this morning. I’m going to learn how to do this!! With this method, I could actually pull the two cores once they crossed. I only tried it once today. I was using a 7/16 rope and used a 5/16 fid to do the core crossing step. I taped the core onto the fid with electrical tape and kept it smooth. Went about an inch and a half past for the crossing. Then at end tied it off and used leather gloves to milk it down. I did something wrong, looked like a good splice but part of the core -1/2 inch was missing on one side of the splice. I’m getting closer.

Rick D likes this.
  2. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    696 posts, 199 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    A few things here -

First, when I purchased my aluminum fid set from Sampson back in the 80's, it came with a book that explained how to splice double braid. Only one way was shown. That was then, this is now. These days, Sampson publishes many different splice methods that are specific to a particular variety of double braid. Make sure that you are using the correct splice for your particular type of rope.

Second, I have found that polishing my fids to a high shine with Simichrome, will make them slide through the braid much more easily.

Third, I often use the "correct" fid to mark my cut lengths for my splices, but use a fid that is one size smaller to actually push the core into the jacket.

Fourth, sometimes it really helps to soak the rope in fabric softener before starting the splice job. If you do this, wash it out real well before using the line for any high stress applications.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,824 posts, 1,469 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Brian. take all the burrs off the fid. I use the samson aluminum fids. They are smooth. It is not a race. Take the time. You should be able to pass a tapered cover along the line above the core with out having to force the fid.
    Work with new line. This is practice. Buy cheap line and build the skill.

Very nice. Did you lock stitch the splice with whipping twine?

4. DougM

DougM

Joined Jul 24, 2005
    1,455 posts, 112 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Manistee, MI
    Splicing is really easy. Double braid is more forgiving however than stranded core.
    I learned to do my own a long time ago, but if I don’t do one for awhile, I have to pull out the book and go through the steps. It is very important to have the proper fids.

5. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    796 posts, 328 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    of course the splice is nice. we all know the bowline will not slip. a better choice for your temporary knot could have been the halyard knot. fun to tie, cleaner look.

6. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,373 posts, 588 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    That is on the list. Making it look nice when it's complete is important. :)

7. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,824 posts, 1,469 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    Yes. More important making sure it does not unravel or pull out under strain is even more nice....

8. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,373 posts, 588 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    I've never had a splice unravel. I usually go a lot further than the 1/3 fid recommendation that most of the docs suggest and while it usually makes the milking process a pita, the end result is a joint that is much stronger.

9. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,833 posts, 434 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I too need to do this since the current continuous line is not an equal diameter splice, and gets hung up and stuck when entering the drum. I have seen several example drawings and videos. My question is how strong is this splice since the splice area ends up being only the two outer jackets with no core material?

10. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,822 posts, 552 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    Chip, how strong does it need to be? And, can you coil the loop so that the spice is just outside the drum? There is a video on Youtube for same diameter end to end loop.

11. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,822 posts, 552 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    Ha!

Don't mess with me you lil' SOB. LOL
    DSCF4739a.jpg

Dan_Y and JamesG161 like this.
  12. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,833 posts, 434 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    That is what I end up doing. I wind the drum all the way in the opposite direction of my furl before attaching the sheets to the sail. then it takes almost all of that line to furl the sail. After multiple furls, the line has slipped enough on the drum, that winding it all the way until it jams no longer completely furls the sail. Then I have to detach the sheets, and start over. If I had anything larger than my current 110 jib, it would most likely not furl completely at all.

13. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,822 posts, 552 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    I went and installed the line on the boat. Splice is just (whew) the right size. However, the line is about 9' too short for my main sheet. Oh well. It will have to do until I put a spice in the one I removed.

Rick D likes this.
  14. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,824 posts, 1,469 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    What “spice”are you thinking.
    • Sugar & spice and everything nice?
    • Oregano and then be ready for borders. “It’s just oregano. I swear”
    • Habanero pepper to spice up your life.

15. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,822 posts, 552 likes
    Lancer 27PS
  16. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,824 posts, 1,469 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    CBA9D551-13F4-4397-9ACA-1A0FCDA5DECF.jpeg
    Well...Tell me what you want... what you really reallly want.

Brian D likes this.

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.