Ficsher Panda 6 KW Generator Starting Issues

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I know there are a number of threads on this subject but please bear with me.
I started the generator way back in April shortly after I put the boat in the water, no issues starting, ran it for a time to get it good and warm to change the oil and ensure the coolant was up to the correct level shut it down changed the oil and then restarted it, again no issues.
Well this past weekend having an actual use for the gen I went to start it and lo and behold it turns over fine but won't start, I did smell fuel at the stern where the exhaust is, so I am thinking that there is fuel getting to the unit. I have not done any diagnostics other than do some reading in the manual on what to look for. First thing I am going to check for is air entrapment as most diesels, if the fuel isn't right the thing just won't run.
Just looking for some other possible suggestions.
Mark

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
but won't start, I did smell fuel at the stern where the exhaust is, so I am thinking that there is fuel getting to the unit.
What that means to me is that you have a fuel leak, NOT that fuel is getting to the unit. It ain't. :)

Do you have a troubleshooting section in your manual?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Do you have a troubleshooting section in your manual?
Yes the manual has a trouble shooting guide with procedures on how to bleed the air from the fuel system, there is suppose to a button on the engine to allow one to run the fuel pump and open the fuel solenoid to bleed any air out of the lines.

I would think that if it were a leak I would have smelled fuel in the port side lazarette where the unit is, is what your saying is I would not smell fuel if the engine flooded?
My guess is the fuel bled back to the tank and I may have a bad supply line check valve, I am certainly open to suggestion ergo the request of the forum.
Mark

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Mark,

I have the same unit. Follow the tech manual which as I recall has you power up the panel and press the override switch to start the fuel pump. Run it for about 30 seconds and then vent any air at the small bolt on the top of the fuel solenoid.

Another thing to look for is the external fuel pump. My system ran intermittently for awhile until I replaced the external fuel pump. FP told me that they have seen numerous failures with the originally supplied pump. I don't recall the name but it looks like a small dumbbell. The replacement unit is actually a small silver cube that can be purchased from FP or at many auto parts stores. I might be able to look up the model number for you if that is the problem.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
3 possible issues.

Bad glow plug relay, bad fuel pump relay, or air in the fuel system.

The kubota will never start without being glowed at the start of a trip, even in warm weather, as it uses swirl chambers. ALL three relays are the same. One is for the fuel pump, the other operates the glow plugs, the third is a spare.....at least on mine( 2004).

If you are smelling fuel, I would start with the Glow plugs. Switch the voltage meter to the start batery, and when you turn on the FP and press the glow plug button, you should see a huge voltage drop. If nothing changes I would change out the relay.

I have and still have issues with the FP getting air in its fuel system. I replaced the fuel pump with a much bigger unit that has a good check valve. That has solved most of the starting issues; however, the well insulated case will typically cause a vapor lock on a second hot start.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Replacement in-deck solar panel

Finally, a drop-in replacement for the in-deck solar panel on Hunters built from the early 90s through the mid-2000s. Improved for longer life and greater output.
See the product

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I truly do appreciate all the input I have done a ton of research in an attempt to help translate the symptoms into a probable cause, much of what I found this evening indeed points to the relays, I will see if I can call an US outlet to get some part numbers tomorrow.

Mark

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
You can Call this Fisher Panda number and ask for parts. tel:800.508.6494. They have been very helpful. The relays are about $13.00 each.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
You can Call this Fisher Panda number and ask for parts. tel:800.508.6494. They have been very helpful. The relays are about $13.00 each.
Thanks for the contact information will be ordering a fuel pump and at least (1) relay to put in inventory in the event this is the issue, if either needs to be replaced I will order a replacement for spare inventory.
The cooperation and knowledge base in this forum is awesome again thank you muchly!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would call FP and ask for help and they were always very helpful when I had a minor problem with a relay and also when was the fuel filter changed.
Nick

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Just went through this with my Kubota-powered genset. You should become proficient in effectively bleeding the fuel system. The fuel pump can be jumped with the ignition circuit activated (engine off) and you will hear the pump running, and confirm relays are fine. Then you need to open the designated fuel vent and assure that fuel without bubbles is venting. Keep it simple, make sure you are getting air-free fuel to the injectors.