Favorite Acoustic Music Videos

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Phil Keaggy - one of the most talented guitar players around. Lost the middle finger of his right hand when he was a child. Upon further review, I guess this may violate the instructions in that he is using a JamMan so he's not completely unplugged, but it's all acoustic and all Phil!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
OK Here are the rules;

*Must be ACOUSTIC versions of music you like.

*Should be great versions showcasing the talents of the artists, fully unplugged.

I'll start..

I discovered The Barenaked Ladies, a Canadian band, through a good friend who went to Berkley College of Music and was friends with them. I met the band on their first tour/shows in the US, in Boston. I was so struck with the talent and energy that we became huge fans.

Sadly Steven Page, one of the band leads, developed "issues" and the band broke up But Ed Robertson, the other lead, began recording some music in his bathroom at home before the break up. The videos are called "The Bathroom Sessions"...

This video shows the two leads of BNL doing what they do. In typical Steven/Ed fashion you can actually hear the toilet flush and Steven entering the camera zipping up his pants. But don't let that sway you..

Back before they became well known, Toronto City council probably did them the biggest favour when they were scheduled to play City Hall New Years Eve, ( a large outdoor live concert event every year ) and they decided that the band name was not appropriate. It attracted way more attention than if they had just played the concert without all the fuss. They did end up playing afteralll.

Dec 15, 2011
Oday 20 SF Bay Area/Monterey Bay
Here is my mother in law, her brother and boyfriend at camp a couple years ago. Our family is fairly musically oriented. This is far from the pro quality stuff posted here but we just have fun with it. The 3 of them have made a fair amount of money making and producing records, this is just a normal camp jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQ0bfREjNE

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio

Glad someone posted a few from Phil Keaggy. I am a big Keaggy fan since my youth.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
I have three - each for a different reason:

Li'l Hunter Hayes: (I really like this one. This guy is Awesome!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZGch1fFAc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL1052B926696675BE
Note: about 2/3 of the way through he stops playing and looks at Hank Williams as if to say "Hey, this is my show!"

Die Twinnies(!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmDAu_47OE
The young one is 12 (green scarf) and the older one is 13 (red scarf). The accordions they have are heavy, probably in the 25 to 28 pounds. They are neighbors but not related. Their teacher is the father of the older one.

I like this young guy, Vivaldi - Four Seasons "Summer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRNzIUkDuk&feature=related
Someone told me this guy won an international accordion competition. I can believe it.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Is that the HØSTFEST?

I've heard about that and there are some people from our area that go to that every year. I'd like to go to it someday but lodging is obviously an issue because it's a relatively small town compared to all the people that go there.

Our town, Poulsbo, has the moniker of "Little Norway" as it was largely settled by Norwegian fishermen. Thanks development and SEPA documents where the city has signed off that there is no environmental impact, the main commercial fish, like the Coho, have virtually disappeared. And so has the fishing fleet. The city's web page has a picture of the waterfront with the Lutheran church up on the hill in the background and there is one lonely commercial fishing boat in the marina. And it's probably an old picture.

A friend of mine played his accordion at a luncheon at the Sons of Norway here in town one day. We were wanting to use the facility and wanted to show what we had to offer them in lieu of money. He was playing Scandinavian songs and I could see the facility manager who was taking money at the table wiping her eyes every so often.

A couple weeks later I called her up to find out how everybody liked it and they said she had quit, was getting divorced, and was moving back to Norway.

This is a web page I found for the Minot, North Dakota Høsfest:
http://hostfest.com/

I know a lot of accordionists like to go there.

There is a fairly new accordion club in Great Falls, Montana, that I have read about. Spokane is another area with a large group.

Thanks for the video link.

Don-MT

May 21, 2004
Oday 23 Montana
Re: Is that the HØSTFEST?

John - If you like Scandinavian accordion music check out WalterEriksson.com. Walter was the accordion god of NYC in the 60's 70's 80's. I'm good friends with his daughter, who is a damn good accordionist in her own rite. And, it's just plain, happy, music.

Enjoy,

Shine On!
Don

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Thanks John, that was great! What a cool guy, amazing little bird and wonderful band!!