Faux Teak & Holly Sole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
What will you use for the trim and how will you secure it?
I plan on using the same ply cut into 1" strips split in half and attached with small screws and hide with bungs. Having got to that as yet. May have to alter my plan after as I see how the ply is routed with a 1/4 round bit.

Bub

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Sole update

I completed the salon area and put it out in the sun with the trim pieces in place. Still have to mitre the ends before install. Planning on taken her out into Lake Ponchartrain for a Saturday sail. Install will have to wait until next week.

bub

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Betz:

That sole looks too good to walk on!

You did have the large piece in/out of the boat before you finished it, didn't you! <g>

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Betz:

That sole looks too good to walk on!

You did have the large piece in/out of the boat before you finished it, didn't you! <g>
yes, we had it in the boat to test fit everything then removed it to finish it up.

Bub

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
update

Here are a few pictures of the sole finished and installed. The trim pieces need to be screwed down and covered with bungs. Galley area is next.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mighty Fine looking !!
Hope ya got out on the lake today ! We just got back to BR from a day sail.. It was great out on the lake today.. My 34 was just smiling and humming along !

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Started the galley area sole. Pictures are from when I started cutting out the 1/4" holly strips. I made a template out of poster board to get the angle (contour)of the floor and then fliped it over and did the other side.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Here is the picture with the trim installed on the salon sole. I have most of th bungs installed.

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wonderful Work!

She's going to look terrific.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
OMG!!!

That cabin sole looks fantastic! Ya going to start the oriental practice of socks only? Looks too good to walk on, even with deck shoes!

mlinn

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Lake Lanier, GA
When can I place my order.

Since the majority of 80s H34 have problems, You should look in to doing on the side for extra cash. :)

Feb 17, 2011
Hunter 36 Mandeville
Simply gorgeous. I have been following your work for a while and finally decided to post a note to offer you congratulations. You and your wife are quite the craftpersons.
I would wear nothing but socks...agree with others. I did notice the number of fellow Louisiana sailors posting. Perhaps a viewing is possible?

Bob

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Simply gorgeous. I have been following your work for a while and finally decided to post a note to offer you congratulations. You and your wife are quite the craftpersons.
I would wear nothing but socks...agree with others. I did notice the number of fellow Louisiana sailors posting. Perhaps a viewing is possible?

Bob
Thanks for the kind words. Yes I am sure we could arrange a viewing?

Bub and Beth

Oct 22, 2005
- - Port Alice
I just read this thread having to do with "faux" teak holly I am very impressed. I am planning on upgrading my Catalina 36 by redoing the teak holly sole and after seeing what you have done would like to give it a try. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind?
1. Since you are staining the plywood and then installing the white wood inlay do you have any problems/tricks getting the surface perfectly flush since you don't have an option to sand them even?
2 What is the "whitewood" that you are using? Is it a type of hardwood or just any white colored wood? The closest I can find here would be poplar, but it's not that hard.
In any case, great work!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hunter 1980 33 Greenville, MS
WOW!!! Looks great. I have a 33' and I've got to replace my sole too. I'm going to give this a try. I have a friend who is a carpenter I'm going to run this by him. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.