Faria Euro Gauges

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thinking about replacing my OEM gauges on the engine panel with Faria Euro Gauges, black with white markings.
Can anyone comment on the visibility of these gauges in the dark?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Greg, my current Teleflex gauges are illuminated but can barely be seen in the dark. Was wondering if the Faria’s were better.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Got it. Mine is mounted in my lazzarette for now. The illumination is good (but not the same as yours). I could make my backlighting red or orange, depending on which wire i used.

Greg

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I special ordered a Faria tach with both red and white markings, to break it up and be easier to read. And because I liked how the new volt meter lit up at night, highlighting the markings, so wanted the tach to match.
Well, the Faria lights up of course, but the markings are not highlighted ie backlit.
See pic for better explanation.
It works fine and I like the reading during the day. Just adequate for night.
Note that my panel is at my feet at the helm, to starboard, so I have to look down and over to see it. The subtleness of the tach and temp might be more desirable on a panel that faces you.
image.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ward, instead of new gauges - spend your $$ on a RS11 or Actisence equivalent. Then you won’t have to listen for the alarm, as it will have a visual and auditory alarm on Your Axiom.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@LeslieTroyer and @jssailem
That was my first thought but then I thought I could just change out the gauges for about $25 ea and get better lighting. As I looked further and started looking at VDO gauges, senders, wiring and how to add better alarms, the RS11/Actisense idea makes more sense. More money but solves all the issues I want to solve.
I read the Panbo articles on both the RS11 and Actisense EMU-1. It sounds like the Actisense is a few dollars more but easier to program.

Les, do you know if the Actisense programing software can run on a Mac? The website only mentions PC.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sorry that this isn’t in focus, but I jumped in the lazzarette, closed the lid and took a photo of my new fuel gauge when illuminated...and it is upside down....but you get the idea.
3E052FC2-0848-4B0B-BCB3-E1A9253A3DC3.jpeg

The marks are clearly identified as is the fuel level.

Greg