Farewell to a true American hero

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
First on Gemini with Grissom, First on STS (Columbia). Amazing service career CAPT Young. Yes, we are losing the pioneers of space.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’m feeling particularly sad about this one. I grew up watching the space race beginning with Project Mercury. I even saw Telstar from my backyard. I met Charlie Duke, who walked on the Moon with John Young, when he accepted my invitation to speak to our church and stay in our home.

Sorry. I couldn’t help it. Our heroes won’t be here forever.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks for the link, Kermit.. I watched the space race fervently.. saw (and heard; dad was a Ham radio guy) Sputnik 1; all the US's problems with Vanguard.. then all the success (mostly) .... These guys were courageous and quick witted and talented.. and did the job they were given in the face of uncertainty and hardship..

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I watched Apollo 8 in the sky from across the state. We used our father's binoculars to watch them on the moon's surface. A friend swore he could see the flag. I couldn't, very frustrating.
It is sad how it all passes. Young was indeed a giant. He has, as many before him, added more pavement to the road of progress for the next generation of ground breakers.

- Will (Dragonfly)