Farewell friends

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
The 28 O'day has a new owner to love and care for her. Alas I am out of boating for what, I suspect will be for good. The Mrs. has the cancer and can no longer be captain to my crew so it is time to loose the lines and allow someone else to love and care for her fiberglass heart (the boat that is). She has gone to a new owner who seems to appreciate the boat's fine features and I hope they have as many fine hours and adventures as my wife and I did. No doubt she will get renamed with all the pomp accorded such a rite. We owned her since 1997 and explored as much of the Michigan's Great Lakes as time allowed. We were in boating starting in 1992 on a 23' sloop. Five foot itis caused us to jump to the 28 and we never looked back. Added feature after feature and, in the end took a financial loss. Still some things don't come down to dollars and cents. Some things like friends, sunsets, swimming in the buff and wine at sunset on the hook have no price. So it is farewell to boating for us. Of course I'll enjoy visiting this site to get my vicarious exposure to the joy of the hobby. As I beat to weather one last time I wish all who remain on deck fair winds and following seas.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Mike4116 My heart is saddened when one of our forum members ties up the lines for the last time. Understand the issue as family comes first. Our prayers are with you and your wife, friend. Come visit us from time to time.

May your battle be a win and your time together be long and joyful.
Sincerely.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Sorry for your cercumstance, we never know what life has in store for us at every turn. My prayers are with you both. Your priorities are in the right place.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It seems a bit wrong to give your post a Like. But I did because I’m glad you posted. We will all quit boating sooner or later. And for different reasons. We are all pulling for your wife. And don’t forget to take care of yourself while taking care of her. Fair winds.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Kermit said it exactly as I felt it.
Reading your post was bitter sweet.
I am watching my father, the greatest sailor I will ever knew, also retire from a life under a sail. The added strain of your wife's condition leaves me not knowing how to offer the words I'd like to.
I hope to read your visiting posts in the future for a long time to come.
As DayDreamer said, my prayers are with you both.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hey there is nothing wrong with becoming an "arm chair sailor" With books, charts, sailing experience and imagination it is possible to sail far off sailing venues. Check in with us periodically.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Mike,
My prayers are with you and your wife. I have been through the caregiving role myself but not the patient role. Hang in there for her...

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
My friends: I am humbled and touched by all the kind expressions of well wishes and concern. I have not left this community of fellowSHIP. I plan to check back often as the posts here run from the common experiences of sailors to the downright interesting. My thanks to all. Finally, it is my honor to care for my wife as she travels to the next port of call. A voyage we all make. I am but her crew on this passage.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Having been through the Cancer crap with my wife as well, my heart goes out to you. It definitely changes your perspective. Listen to her doctors, stay positive, and

**** Cancer 2.png

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I lost my husband to cancer, Mike...so I've walked in your shoes and know that the minute you hear the word "cancer" your world enters the twilight zone...a totally new reality. I'll keep you both in my prayers that she'll be among those who win her battle and give you many more years to create new memories together.
--Peggie

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
My fellow sailors and friends I have made here. On March 27, 2019 I wrote that I had sold my boat and was leaving the boating community due to my Wife's ovarian cancer. As of May 23rd her battle has ended and has loosed her lines to venture to that eternal place beyond the horizon of us. Now a poem and my final salute to her and her courage.
Gone From My Sight
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."
Gone where?
Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Mike, your choice in poetic tribute is exactly right.
I am very sorry for your loss.
Your wife is, as the poem suggests, only gone from your sight. Little solace to one who loves, but to know that loss is only of possession and not one of true being is solace to one who truly loved and cares.
Please don't allow us to experience the loss of your presence on this forum. Thank you for sharing so intimately with us. Your generous sprit is very much appreciated.
Take care.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Mike4116
I share my empathy about your loss. Not having known you or your bride I am left to imagine the feelings. Your poem helps, as poetry often does, to provide context.

I found your words moving. They provide imagery that touches my soul.

Yet they give hope.
My sincere wishes of hope for you.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Do what you can, while you can. Tomorrow is not promised. I'm glad you and your wife had so many great years with your sailboat. We will all stop sooner or later. We will pray for your wife that she beats this awful disease. And I hope you will visit here as often as you wish.