Fall can have great days on the lake also ya' know.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Just back from three days on Lost Creek Lake here in S Or. there was a bit of everything, as Thursday it was clear and hot so we swam, relaxed, and meandered around the lake.
P1050535 (1).jpg

But around 3:00 it finally brought in some nice mellow 6-8kt winds until the sun went down. we anchored at the West end of the lake to get the morning sun on Friday, and boy was that a great plan to view the sunrise!
P1050563.jpg

Friday had some very light showers pass through, but still a nice day, and plenty of light wind to visit all points of the 3500 acre lake. Got our best sailing in later on Friday afternoon and evening when it picked up to 10-12 kt on into dark.
P1050626.jpg

Saturday, as we were headed in around 1:00, brought out the only other sailboats we saw on the lake. "Man, Ya should have been here yesterday" ;)
P1050655 (1).jpg

We sure hate to see summer winding down, but also discovered just how relaxing and beautiful fall sailing can be.

Russ&Jennifer

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
it was clear and hot so we swam, relaxed, and meandered around the lake
I never fail to get jealous when I hear of you lake people in swimming on a hot day, getting out, and you're pristine. Not so much in salt water.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I have a cousin in the keys. When we stopped to swim the first time he threw this big black container up on the deck. Didn't know what it was until we were done. By that time the sun had heated it up and we all took a warm shower. Great if your day sailing or have some place to get fresh water.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Dangit! We got no love on Seneca today! Nice sunshine, but just drifting weather.
But yes, the water is amazing...

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Fall is when our sailing season starts getting good. (The winds are more consistent) It was so good yesterday that I stayed out well past dark. Finished off the day with a extremely enjoyable moonlight sail.
Moon light sail.jpg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yesterday was so enjoyable, I hated to pack up and go home. But Sue was making dinner and work calls ....
Sue's boot came off her foot last week and she wants to wear normal shoes at her son's wedding next Saturday, so she doesn't want to take any chances on the boat until the weekend after next.
I remember diving in off the coach roof of the boat on Lake Hopatcong. Can't say that I'm going to do that in the 6' to 8' water depth of Barnegat Bay, especially when I can't even see beneath the surface. Yes, I miss taking a refreshing swim after the sweat is dripping off me when I'm putting stuff away on the sailboat. Now, I have to crank up the car's A/C to find relief from the sticky, salty air mixed in with greenhead bites. :eek:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yes! that looks refreshing! Actually, a cockpit shower is in my plan for winter improvement.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You might want to assure Sue that there will be no brunettes allowed in the shower.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm looking at the same project somewhere in the future.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Nice! Fall is our favorite time to sail. Less people, less heat and better winds.
Spent Sat eve anchored on Lucky Peak and did not see another sailboat. Notice the high (normal water mark). Draw down started in Sept.
upload_2017-10-2_13-57-8.png

Yesterday am (just before raising the sails and heading home).
upload_2017-10-2_13-59-10.png

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Been a little chilly for sailing but we have been taking some nice walks at the lake.. This picture is from two days ago in Colorado (at least the lake is slightly visible through the trees..LOL).
9_29_17_10.jpg