Fairclough Cover End of Useful Life

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Looks like my Fairclough cover finally gave up after 10 years of protecting our boat. I've got about a 4 foot tear just below the ridge seem at the aft end of the cover. I'm thinking Fairclough may be able to repair it but closer inspection of the cover shows numerous weak and worn spots due to wear and tear. So the question is, do I try to have Fairclough repair the cover, have them build me a new cover or just go with shrink wrap from next season on out. The cover is actually a two piece cover and fairly heavy. I've been installing it each year with help from friends but its getting harder and harder as the aging process continues. Fairclough charges ~ $600 to install and an additional $600 to remove which works out to be roughly what my marina will charge to shrink wrap each season.
IMG_2134 (1).JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check with a local canvas shop. They may be able to replace a panel for less than Fairclough, they tend to be expensive. $1200 to put the cover up and take it down? That's outrageous!

The down side to shrink wrap is the whole plastic issue. Many believe that excessive use of plastic is not healthy for the ocean environment.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have used a Fairclough cover for 19 winters. I have also experienced small and large rips, especially over the last 5-6 years. I have re-sown many of the seams and zippers myself on a SailRite sewing machine. Last winter I had a seam open up next to the ridge pole that stretched from stern to the mast. Because I was unable to restitch that seam myself I took the cover to Fairclough and had them re-stitch all of the panel seams in the entire cover. They told me that re-stitching is necessary about every 10-12 years.
The covers must be protected from any sharp edges. It looks like yours opened up at a seam and if that is true then it is typically a thread failure.
This last fall when I installed the cover I had a zipper fail. I did a temporary repair on it to last over this winter and I will be replacing all of the zippers this summer. I think that the UV over 19 seasons has damaged the plastic zippers. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever and everything requires maintenance. The people at Fairclough told me that they have seen covers last up to almost 30 years with periodic maintenance.
Regarding installation and removal, I have a Hunter h40.5 and myself and one friend a year younger than me put the cover on in about 8 hours. When we did this last fall we were 68 and 69. It doesn't get easier with age but we have done it for so many years we both know exactly how it is done. Removal, and folding takes maybe 4 hours. So installation and removal takes two people 12 hours. At $100 per man per hour, you are at $1200. Not including any travel time. Boats are expensive.
Regarding plastic for the shrink wrap, my yard recycles all of it.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
One thing to consider if you do have your cover repaired, Fairclough will cut it into 3 sections, which makes it much easier to get on and off. After our first season with a 2 piece setup we took it back and FC make it a 3 piece cover....so much easier to handle.
I also use pieces of the cheap foam pipe insulation you get at HD to protect any sharp points...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I used to have Fairclough cover on my Sabre 30. After the first couple of installs, it would only take about 3-4 hours to put it on by myself. It was easier and faster to use zip ties to secure the frame than strapping tape. Also the cover and frames were put on the boat before haul out. Much easier than taking canvas up a ladder. We also learned the hard way to keep the cover dry until it is installed. A little moisture causes the canvas to shrink making for a very tight fit.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
Remember that the install and removal of the cover also covers transportation and summer storage for the cover.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a Fairclough cover also. They put it on the first year for free and that is the last time they touched it. I had it made not only to save plastic in our landfills but to save money. Having them take it on and off and store it is no savings. IMHO

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I had a 2006 H29 and a Fairclough cover. After Superstorm Sandy the boat was lost (see Avatar) but I still had the cover. Got a H33 and figured I would try and adapt the cover. I found the exact fabric and I added a panel and split one so now the cover has 4 pieces. Only really hard part was refitting the cover zippers around the shrouds. Much easier to handle the smaller lighter pieces putting them on and off.

1. I also started using zip ties instead of strapping tape in some areas.
2. Added some of the horizontal boards using 1"x3"x8' furring strips from HD $1.37 each
3. Added a couple of port to starboard skeletal framework pieces using the same size electrical
conduits (EMT) from HD. Lengthening them and the ridge bar using internal splines with rivets, and joining some with EMT set screw couplings (about a buck each).
4. Added grommets along the bottom edges.
5. Patched any weak spots making a double layer of fabric instead of cutting out pieces.

Used a Sailrite sewing machine and weather resistant thread. Seems to be working fine two years after the adaptation. The cover is 10 years old now.

Last edited: