Factory V-Berth not level in 1984 C30?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hi there!

Is it just me or is the bow end of the v-berth higher than the aft end? It seems like the factory molding is a couple of inches higher on the bow end, although I don't have a level to check.

I am asking because the PO added some slats and plywood, I think to fight moisture. It would be nice to remove them now and regain some inches now that I have the froli system.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Yup, I think there may be slight differences from boat to boat but on our 78 it feels bow high. I may just get a few hundred feet of chain in the anchor locker and all will be good.]

Apr 30, 2014
Catalina 30 San Francisco
Finally! Someone else notices! :plus: Patrick you have no idea how much thought I've put into this. I average about 10 nights/month sleeping in the V-berth on my 1979 Cat-30. I assumed that since nobody else made mention of the issue, my boat was unique. At first I remedied the "bow high" condition by sleeping with my head at the bow so I wouldn't wake up with a headache. I wasn't thrilled with the solution because I didn't like sleeping with my head in the 1' wide area at the bow and also I routinely woke up having slid down the v-berth during the night to find my feet dangling over the edge.

After about 6 months, I finally decided to bite the bullet and replace the moldy, smelly, v-berth foam I had been sleeping on and decided it was an opportune time to fix the slope. My original idea was to purchase a 10-12" thick memory foam mattress and "shave it down" towards the bow thereby leveling the sleeping surface. I quickly realized that shaving down memory foam wasn't really possible. I found some wedge shaped memory foam mattresses for sale online (marketed to help alleviate acid reflux symptoms) but I couldn't find one large enough for our unique v-berth dimensions (82" wide at the 'head'). After that plan fell though, I even considered purchasing some Ikea bed frame wooden "slats" to raise the head. Unfortunately none of these solutions seemed affordable, or even effective.

After many more poor nights of sleep, I noticed that not only was my v-berth not level, my boat was listing slightly towards the stern when looking at the boot stripe just above the waterline. After a little more online sleuthing, I realized my boat didn't possess the optional 25 gallon ($349) water tank under the v-berth. Without the additional 208 lbs of a full water tank, and a small danforth anchor in the bow locker, the boat was noticeably tilted. My solution was to buy a bunch of 60 lb sandbags from Home Depot and place them in the sail locker under the v-berth. Total cost...$13.
IMG_5255.jpg
IMG_5256.jpg
IMG_5272JPG.jpg
IMG_5274JPG.jpg
IMG_5276JPG.jpg
IMG_5284JPG.jpg
IMG_5417.jpg

P.S. I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the Froli system.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
years ago practical sailor said the froli was the least expensive and best soiultion to softening hard surfaces like our v berth. happily, they were quite correct.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Finally! Someone else notices! :plus: Patrick you have no idea how much thought I've put into this. I average about 10 nights/month sleeping in the V-berth on my 1979 Cat-30. I assumed that since nobody else made mention of the issue, my boat was unique. At first I remedied the "bow high" condition by sleeping with my head at the bow so I wouldn't wake up with a headache. I wasn't thrilled with the solution because I didn't like sleeping with my head in the 1' wide area at the bow and also I routinely woke up having slid down the v-berth during the night to find my feet dangling over the edge.

After about 6 months, I finally decided to bite the bullet and replace the moldy, smelly, v-berth foam I had been sleeping on and decided it was an opportune time to fix the slope. My original idea was to purchase a 10-12" thick memory foam mattress and "shave it down" towards the bow thereby leveling the sleeping surface. I quickly realized that shaving down memory foam wasn't really possible. I found some wedge shaped memory foam mattresses for sale online (marketed to help alleviate acid reflux symptoms) but I couldn't find one large enough for our unique v-berth dimensions (82" wide at the 'head'). After that plan fell though, I even considered purchasing some Ikea bed frame wooden "slats" to raise the head. Unfortunately none of these solutions seemed affordable, or even effective.

After many more poor nights of sleep, I noticed that not only was my v-berth not level, my boat was listing slightly towards the stern when looking at the boot stripe just above the waterline. After a little more online sleuthing, I realized my boat didn't possess the optional 25 gallon ($349) water tank under the v-berth. Without the additional 208 lbs of a full water tank, and a small danforth anchor in the bow locker, the boat was noticeably tilted. My solution was to buy a bunch of 60 lb sandbags from Home Depot and place them in the sail locker under the v-berth. Total cost...$13.
View attachment 134313 View attachment 134314 View attachment 134315 View attachment 134316 View attachment 134317 View attachment 134318 View attachment 134319
P.S. I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the Froli system.
The froli system has been absolutely fantastic. I also have a 1 inch memory foam one layer on top of my stock Catalina cushions. Those two combined make one of the most comfortable bed so I've had in a long time. However this could be because the hardness is exactly what I was looking for. Your mileage may vary