Fabric Spray "Paint" for old cabin cushions?

rmwac

Apr 22, 2011
Catalina 30 Watkins Glen
We have an '84 Catalina 30 with the fabulous 80's tan 'Plaid' pattern. The cushions are in excellent shape, and have no stink after all these years. Making cushions is rather easier said than sewn.... there are some serious details in many of the 18 cushions on our boat, especially in that variable-thickness, vinyl-backed cushion directly over the diesel engine. I've seen a number of websites advertising fabric sprays (Spray it New, Simply Spray, etc). I'm wondering if anyone has had the nerve to actually try this out on old cushions.????? I'd love to get a new look to the cushions without spending what I hear can be $5000 for a set from Catalina. This approach just seems a little far fetched. I wonder if anyone has tried dyeing their cushion covers? Thanks.

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Hi there Mr. Wac, I have not tried the spray you speak of on my boats interior . But I did try it on the bald spot on my head . Ms. Westi would not speak to me in tell it wore off, and then I was the butt of many of her jokes . When we got lil o'l Patricia A 20yrs. ago I had hair , but the boats interior was bad . So I made a new interior out of beach towels, I thought it looked really good . Ms . Westi said better than nothing so we sailed like that for a long time . It wasn't till about 2yrs. ago we broke down and got all new . And yes it was big $$.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I usually drive inland until I find an upholstery shop where they've never seen a sailboat and get them re-upholstered if the foam is OK. Last time I got 12 pieces for a 270 done for $1200 with auto material on tops and white vinyl on bottoms at a place in the desert halfway to Las Vegas. He kinda complained about not charging enough when I picked them up.;)

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
The spray does work well for freshening up vinyl and heavy fabric. I have never tried it on a plaid though. About all you can do is try it and see what results you get. If it fails to work well, then buy some new ones. It probably will look fine for males! ha If you sew, the fabric can be replaced. Use baby powder to slick up vinyl, nylon thread, (regular size) and take your time using the wheel to assist motor as needed. My wife and I both sew.
Chief