May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

the big dogs playing, i can see them from the porch

1800 sq ft of sail, no keel/ballast, in great breezes

"this ain't no picnic boat"

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the last picture is an alden caravelle 42, not aeolus. very heavy built, five sails up that take 21 lines to control, rolling along prolly doing mid 8s to 9 knots while giving one of the sweetest ride around. it's all about the ride :)
the stern wave is well behind the taff rail nice

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
the last picture is an alden caravelle 42, not aeolus. very heavy built, five sails up that take 21 lines to control, rolling along prolly doing mid 8s to 9 knots while giving one of the sweetest ride around. it's all about the ride :)
the stern wave is well behind the taff rail nice
Close, Jon. After checking the SBO Alden owners group forum,... :) I think HIGHLIGHT is #949F, the 6th Alden Challenger built in 1960.

http://www.aldendesigns.com/99years/detail.php?ID=1800

Amazingly, I was onboard HIGHLIGHT in Cuttyhunk many years ago. At that point she was DAPHNE.

949F/1960/Yawl&Sloop/Halmatic[#?]/Molich[#?]/Highlight/Sinsonte/Arianna/Innisfree/DAPHNE/Tiverton,R

We have all this historical record on the SBO thanks to MIT, Alden's fine records and finally, Iain McAllister from Scotland, to thank for making this available and updating it.

I met Iain and his son, Magnus, in Rockport more than 10 years ago. He was captain and caretaker of the PEGGY BAWN, a more than 100 year old treasure also from Scotland.
Peggy Bawn Rockport Harbor 2007 Mariah (1 of 1).jpg

Iain sailed this museum piece on and off the docks here in Rockport, he knows his stuff.
Peggy Bawn Rockport Harbor 2007 (1 of 1).jpg