eye candy

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK

While I can't get a good look at the bow in this picture, the Christ Church Sailing Club called them scows. I'm not seeing it.
[...]
-Will (Dragonfly)
Me either. I think of scows as being very shallow, with reverse sheer and oblong flat bow with no stem. Those have a definite V bow, transom, normal sheer, and are relatively deep. Like you said, they do look sweet.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
scow | skou | noun North American a wide-beamed sailing dinghy. • a flat-bottomed boat with sloping ends used as a lighter and in dredging and other harbor services. ORIGIN mid 17th century: from Dutch schouw ‘ferry boat’.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

my great great grandfather and then his sons, built and sailed scow schooners out of struge for the second half of the 1800's. 50 ton deck loads, mostly stone. they made money.
a brother and i have an Ascow sailboat to blast around the bay for fun. tradition :) sorta
still have the captains house, sweet :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
the story told is that they would build a scow schooner over the winter, 4 months, then sail cargo for the entire season on the lakes, sell the boat at the end of the season, then build a new one the next winter. the family did this for some sixty years. started a quarry too. selling stone, selling boats. they did well for themselves.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The woods supplied the lumber in abundance, skilled workers did the labor, the need to move materials supplied the economic incentive. What a beautiful time. Nothing lasts forever but your family was blessed to live in that area in that time.

May 25, 2012
they thought so :) the bay was teaming with fish and the forest full of game and indians. they traded with the natives, always got along. the well water sweet. in his younger years he was a ships carpenter on tea clippers out of Glasgow. made 2 trips around the world. there were not 150 settlers on the penninsula when he showed up. he got first dibbs on the water frnt property. $0.50 an acre in 1852. when he died he owned about 800 acres of woods , a stone quarry, lime kilms, and a ship building operation. when his kids finally quit sailing, they moved into the steam tug game. they Tugged till the 1940's.

Last edited: