Extreme Rudder Fouling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2011
Catalina 309 Rock Hall
I purchased a Catalina 309 last spring, hull #190. We had the boat hauled out in late August for hurricane Irene and discovered and extreme amount of fouling to the rudder. First and most common question from the folks at the marina "was it painted with anti fouling paint? Since it was a new boat that came with a fresh paint as part of the purchase I hope that it was. I contacted the dealer in Havre de Grace and they told me that it was painted with interlux Micron CSC shark white and the hull in blue of the same type. I was also told that a barrier coat had been put on. I sent them the photos and they said that water in Rock Hall is very dirty and that fouling is more common there, fair enough. That is well in good but if that is the case I would expect that the hull would have experienced the same or more fouling but that did not occur. Anyway the boat is sailed at least every other week during the season so it does not sit for long periods. I even contacted interlux with the photos and there response was quick and sincere as to determining the problem, even to the point of having someone come out and take a look at the boat when it is hauled out for the season next week.
I am not an expert but I suspect that the rudder was not painted as I was told it was or if it was it was not done properly?
Any way the point of my post is to see if anyone has ever seen anything like this.

Thanks

Attachments

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Why would they have painted the rudder a different color to begin with? Also, I wasn't aware that Micron CSC is available in white.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Yeah, it comes in Shark White. You still have to wonder why they'd paint the hull and rudder in two different colors.

Could the dealer by LYING?!?!?!?:eek:

Is it possible the dealer didn't really paint the rudder and then made up a story to cover themselves. That'd be typical of the tactics used by my Catalina dealer. Can't wait to hear what you learn from Interlux.

My dealer delivered my boat to me with the bottom painted. I'd suggested doing it myself, but they insisted that on a new boat, ONLY the dealer could prepare the hull properly. The bottom paint they put on was all blistered and ruined after one summer in Lake Michigan. I removed it, prepped the bottom, repainted, and haven't had a problem since. Like I said....can't wait to hear what you learn.

Apr 6, 2009
2 309 Frog Motar Creek
I am on the other side of the bay,Middle River, and spend time in swan creek. I bought my 309 in 06 and since the first haul out have had "issues" with micron csc "sticking" in large areas from the first haul out, but not the rudder, my problem area has been on the underside or belly of the hull. Last spring I went so far as to heavly sand, use interlux wax release, cant remeber the number but not 202, and appllied a skip sand primer prior to rolling CSC on all the large "loose areas" will know in about a month if that solved the problems, perhaps they did not do a good job removing the mold wax on the rudder as i suspect my problem is on the hull.

Oct 29, 2011
Catalina 309 Rock Hall
The reason given by the dealer for the use of different colors on the rudder and hull was that it was recommended by Catalina. Do I think the dealer is blowing sunshine my way? Absolutely, that is why I contacted Interlux to. I am just waiting to see what kind of shape the rudder will be in when the boat gets hauled out this week.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I just read the rudder care recommendations on Foss Foam's (large OEM rudder manufacturer) web site, and they actually recommend either painting the rudder white, or covering it with a white cover when the boat is on the hard. Apparently, the concern is with different coefficients of expansion of the inner foam and the outer fiberglass shell, that can cause cracking of the rudder in direct sun with dark colors. Never heard that before. Foss Foam makes all of Hunter's rudders, though I'm pretty certain Catalina makes their own. The local Catalina dealer in Deltaville paints the bottoms of all their new boats black, including the rudders!

Sep 9, 2011
Catalina 320 Alameda
Rudders are painted a light color, because the rudder hangs below the bottom in direct sun light. A lighter color mitigates expansion by reflecting the Sun's radiant energy. The bottom is shaded by the hull and does not see much direct Sun, unless she is heeled quite a bit. Ours is not painted white, as temps are moderate in SF, but the practice is not unusual.

Guess the question is 1) did they paint it or is that only the primer? 2) does CSC work in your area? 3) what you going to put on the boat now?

I'm hopping you removed that fouling as soon as you took the picture. It going to be difficult to remove if it's still on there.

Hope this works out for you. I'm sure Interlux wants a good outcome. Have to believe your dealer does as well.

Good Luck, Pat

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sunlight has a big effect on marine growth. Our boat is moored bow&stern, and we always have more growth on the southern (sunny) side. Is your boat on a mooring or a slip that gives it a certain orientation -- say stern to the sun? There are other reasons for painting the rudder a light color and the hull a darker color. The darker a/f paint doesn't show the growth as much, so when you heel over, the boat still looks OK. The lighter paint shows growth more easily, so you can gauge when you need to have the bottom scrubbed by when the rudder gets too dark. The growth on the rudder looks like about five or six week's worth around here (CT) . We've used Micron CSC, shark white or red, for about a dozen years. There are all sorts of variables with a/f paint. Was is stirred? Was it fresh? Was it thinned? I'd show the dealer and ask him to get it cleaned off & repainted for you. You'll be happy, he'll be glad you're happy, and you can go sailing next year and won't have to worry about figuring out what the problem was unless the same thing happens again. In which case you'll owe the dealer a beer or two.

Oct 29, 2011
Catalina 309 Rock Hall
The boat has been hauled out and is on the hard. I asked the the Marina Service dept to take a look at the rudder and they observed what I have been thinking the entire time, the rudder only had primer applied and no anti fouling paint. I am still waiting for the interlux rep to take a look at it this week and hopfully they can confirm that the rudder only has primer on it. Paul I did email the photo to the dealer and I never received a response. I followed up with a phone call and resent the photo and the only response I received was that it was extreme(ya think!). If interlux confirms what my marina is saying I will contact the dealer and I am sure that the situation will be rectified. Currently I am not sensing any willingness on the dealers part to help me out at this point.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2011
Catalina 309 Rock Hall
Got the final word from the interlux rep who looked at the rudder last week and they confirmed what I had been thinking all along. The rudder only had a barrier coat on it and not paint. The dealer finally agreed to do the repairs and do what they were supposed to do when I purchased the boat. Any how, I am happy that the situation is resolved.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Gotta love a dealer like that. Said it was painted shark white, and it's not painted at all. Sounds like a clone of my dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.