Extra halyard? What for?

Feb 14, 2017
Hunter 37 Elliot Bay Seattle
May be a dumb question.... I just bought a Hunter 37. First boat I've owned. Every boat I've sailed (not that many) has had one halyard on the back of the mast for the main (of course). On this boat, there are two halyards coming off the back of the mast. Anyone know what a 2nd halyard out the back of the mast would be for? Thanks for the help.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
could be topping lift to hold the end of boom when mainsail is down and there isn't a rigidkicker to support the boom.

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, Ken. However, the boom also has a topping lift on it in addition to this other line. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can never have too many halyards. Some day you will need it. Like if the mainsail halyard breaks or jams...

Feb 14, 2017
Sounds like I should just treat it as a bonus, secure it out of the way, and move on. Someday it may come in handy. Thanks everyone.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Old Hunter 37 or new Hunter 37??

On fractional boats, having a 2nd main halyard can save you from having to drop the stick if something happens to the single main halyard and you need to go all the way up. With it out of commission and all the forward halyards stopping at the hounds, there is no other way to get to top of the mast.

All other good reasons apply.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Or like John Candy in Summer Rental where he hoisted his pants for additional downwind power to win the race! If you know who Candy is (was), that's a lot of extra sail! Now I have to watch it again.