Extendable Tongue Trailer/Launching

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Porterville, CA
Hello!

I recently purchased a 1978 Catalina 22 swing keel. I have launched it once at a local lake to motor around and get familiar with her, however; I am curious as to what the process is for utilizing the extendable tongue on it's sail rite trailer. The first time I launched the boat, I did so with the tongue retracted, however; I suspect I could have gotten the boat further up the trailer on retrieval had I extended the tongue. Can anyone talk me through the necessary steps of deploying and retracting the tongue? For example, do I use the truck to accomplish this or should I unhitch and do it manually, etc?

Also, I was concerned that the rudder would strike the ramp during launch/retrieval so, I removed it for both. Is this necessary?

I look forward to your responses and appreciate your patience with this new sailor. Thanks!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congrats on your new boat! Lots to learn and you'll find this forum is your best resource!

Depends on how steep your ramp is IMO. First I don't want the vehicle wheels in salt water (tires ok). Our ramp is steep enough to launch a swing keel model without extending the tongue and wheels dry. If it isn't I extend the tongue, with vehicle connected to trailer on flat ground I pull the tongue pin from its aft position and drive the vehicle forward until I can put the pin in its forward position.

I back into the water with or without the tongue extended until the bunks are submerged. At this point I can stand on the trailer and shove the boat off. When retrieving reverse the procedure and FLOAT the boat onto the trailer. Do not use the trailer winch to pull the weight of the boat onto the trailer as you may with a power boat. On a wing keel model I need to extend the tongue on the same ramp due to its deeper draft. Just did both last week, all went well. Hope this helps....other's who trailer sail may have better input, but that's been my technique/experience...

Regarding your rudder, I can launch the swing keel with the kick up rudder attached in it's up position, again this depends on how steep your ramp is. The wing keel model we launched has a fixed rudder which must be removed to launch. YMMV, but if unsure, best to remove your rudder and put it on once launched.

Ron

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Agree with what rpludwig said...when planning to launch with tongue extended, I always block the wheels to avoid trailer rolling and usually prefer to disconnect trailer from tow vehicle before extending the tongue...then reattach. This does take a little extra time but I like to be safe when launching and avoid being the star of a "sailboat launch fail" YouTube videos

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
+2 on chocking the wheels. I tow with the rudder in the back of the truck since my mast crutch rides in the gudgeons. Once I get the mast up, the crutch comes off, the rudder goes on and the blade is raised up. I usually chock the tires with one chock behind and one chock forward. If I have help, I show them where the holes in the trailer extension tube are and have them pin it as I slowly drive the truck forward. If I'm alone, I use wooden blocks with a hole in them that holds the pins. I simply pull forward a bit, place the blocks and pins over the trailer holes and then slowly drive forward. If I've done it right, the pins drop in the holes or at least catch enough to let me know I'm close and I can wiggle them in from there. I have been known to offer a free beer to any fisherman who wants to help.......

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
+2 on chocking the wheels. I tow with the rudder in the back of the truck since my mast crutch rides in the gudgeons. Once I get the mast up, the crutch comes off, the rudder goes on and the blade is raised up. I usually chock the tires with one chock behind and one chock forward. If I have help, I show them where the holes in the trailer extension tube are and have them pin it as I slowly drive the truck forward. If I'm alone, I use wooden blocks with a hole in them that holds the pins. I simply pull forward a bit, place the blocks and pins over the trailer holes and then slowly drive forward. If I've done it right, the pins drop in the holes or at least catch enough to let me know I'm close and I can wiggle them in from there. I have been known to offer a free beer to any fisherman who wants to help.......
When you mention the wooden block and pins - do you have a trailer set-up where the extendable tongue locking pin holes are cut vertically in the tongue? I'm trying to envision your set-up, but I'm having trouble, because my tongue locking pin hole is horizontal. I can't quite see how I could manage to have a pin drop into a horizontal hole as simply as your set-up sounds. It's a good idea - and I'd like to try something similar on my rig.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I use a stop bolt on the end of my extension. My pin is also Horizontal and I pull the extension out using my truck and a strap until I hear the thunk. I then back down to release the strap, get out and easily slide the in into place. It really is easy.

Sep 19, 2017
Wow! This is my first post here and I wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get. Thank you all very much. This answers my questions. I certainly don't want to star in any "sailing fail" videos! I think I'll try it with the truck at home and probably disconnect anyway to be safe. With respect to the rudder, I believe my connection is fixed. Can a kick-up rudder system be added? Would adding one cause issues with my mast-stepping system as the cradle rests where the rudder pins go? When installing the rudder, I was acutely aware of how bad it would be to drop it in the water lol. I'd much rather do it before launching.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Trent, if you don't have a "kick-up" rudder, I can't imaging launching with a fix'd rudder in place unless you have an extreme ramp slope since it draws ~ 3 ft.....the original rudder (on my '84) has been ridiculed for several reasons and not desireable, from what I've read, although it works for me thus far...there are other, much better rudders out there which others swear by...they will chime in, whether they are kick-up or not, not sure...btw, I have had no issue with putting the rudder in place on mine on the water, just drop it in the gudgeons, but don't miss!....fwiw...

take a pic of what you have rudder wise, that will help...

Sep 19, 2017
Thank you. I did locate some kick-up rudders available from Catalina Direct. Seems like everything costs a thousand dollars haha. I think I can do with what I've got for now.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Frankentrailer reference-- you can see the horizontal pin and latch My pin extends through the entirety of the double wall 2" steel and latches manually. I have mutiple points drilled along the 8' extension, I usu only extend out to 4' but enjoy the flexibility if needed. My original extension was more costly to fix than to create new. Like others have said-- I prefer to chock, unhitch and re-hitch in the staging area. Slow but safe.

File_001.jpeg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LMAO....Trent, one of the many fine things you will learn from this forum is that @GeneNeill has a unique knack for putting things into the proper perspective!!!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
When you mention the wooden block and pins - do you have a trailer set-up where the extendable tongue locking pin holes are cut vertically in the tongue? I'm trying to envision your set-up, but I'm having trouble, because my tongue locking pin hole is horizontal. I can't quite see how I could manage to have a pin drop into a horizontal hole as simply as your set-up sounds. It's a good idea - and I'd like to try something similar on my rig.
They're vertical holes.