Experienced Tampa Bay/Clearwater sailor needed.

Dec 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Nashville Shores Marina
Long story short, my wife and I took sailing lessons in October of 2015, bought a Catalina 30 a month later in November and found out we were going to be parents in December. Needless to say we didn't get to take full advantage of the boat over the last year with the new addition so we didn't get to hone our sailing skills after the ASA certifications.

On top of all the above I just changed jobs and they moved us to Clearwater from Nashville Tn along with our boat. As of now, I have the boat at Apollo Beach Marina on the hard prepping to launch. Where I need help is getting from Apollo Beach marina to Clearwater Beach marina. From my novice eyes it appears to be an 8-10 hour journey but I could be way off. I need someone that has experience with the bay and the coast to help my wife and I make the journey. We can motor, motor/sail or sail. I prefer to sail just to get the experience but understand that may not be completely possible.

I have a very flexible job so I can make it on a weekend or weekday. At this point I am hoping for a transit date of April 16th weather permitting. I am looking for someone that can help us get there but also help us refine our sailing skills while making the journey and teach us about the local waters. I don't expect anyone to do this free of charge. If anyone is interested or knows anyone that would be, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Brad.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Congratulations on the addition

PM me I have a friend in the area who may be able to help you out.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Talked to my buddy he is interested.

He and his wife have a 6 month old so he is familiar with the drill.

I am due for a road trip so maybe I'll tag along for the ride.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
KG, I haven't heard from the OP. I don't know if Rick Webb has.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You have roughly a 50nm trip which could be comfortably done door to door in 12 hours. Riding the outgoing tidal flow in Tampa Bay and a favorable wind up the coast to Clearwater could cut the time down to under 10 hours. You would need to motor or motor sail to keep an average speed of 5 knots or better.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This route is about 40 n.mi. By all means, leave on the ebbing tide. Your best ride is on the NE-ENE wind. Fairly common still in springtime. The bridge at the Maximo Channel is a fixed bridge that a boat with your mast height can sail under.:biggrin:Be sure you align the markers of the Maximo Channel; ICW by looking both ahead and astern and stay in the channel. A NE cross-wind can set you onto the shoals to leeward (south).:cuss:

Apollo Beach to Clearwater Passa.jpg

Last edited: