Exhaust Muffler

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Has anyone had any problems with their exhaust muffler? On my 410 there is a bolt/nut on the lower side of the muffler that is rusted and a rust stream under it. When I run the engine I do not see a leak but something is leaking.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Unless I am mistaken, that bolt is probably a drain plug to allow you to drain the muffler over the winter.
You may be able to remove and reinstall it to deal with any leak you may have.

OTOH, is it possible that you do not have a leak and that the rust streak is old?

Matt

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Has anyone had any problems with their exhaust muffler? On my 410 there is a bolt/nut on the lower side of the muffler that is rusted and a rust stream under it. When I run the engine I do not see a leak but something is leaking.
Interesting.

It is indeed a drain plug for winterizing but probably not required in your neck of the woods. Interesting because I recently noted the exact same rusty plug and a small stream of rust originating from the drain in my water muffler. When I removed the plug I noticed that the rubber gasket (washer) was somewhat cracked. I emailed the company (Centek) and within days had a new plug and gasket, that they sent to me, in the muffler drain. All is well so far.

My initial thoughts were, where there is exhaust liquid (raw water) there must also be exhaust gases (carbon monoxide). An over riding reason to ensure that your CO detection system is in good working order.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Removed the plug. Bad news is the threads are stripped. Put it back in with new bolt and washer and coated it with 5200. If that does not work may have to replace the tank. The tank is a Marine Muffler Corporation. Have not seen any tanks like them on line.