Exhaust hose:1 new owner :0

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
After four hours of me and my buddy wrestling the exhaust hose on to the mixing elbow, I can see why the previous install only got it on enough for 1 clamp. I am working with a 3 cylinder Yanmar, on a hunter Vision 32. I tried heating it up, tried twisting it, tried dish soap, I tried sweet talking it a little... Nothing! I've got it maybe 3/4ths of an inch on it. The old one came off without much of a problem, but aside from removing the mixing elbow from the motor (which I am hoping to avoid) I can't figure out how to get it on . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 5, 2016
Catalina Capri 22 Cambridge
You must have the wrong size hose. I would remove the mixing elbow to check for clogging and corrosion.

Aug 5, 2016
If the hose is old, it won't be as flexible as new and that might be causing the problem.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Two things come to mind. 1St an exhaust flair tool. Second and this what I used put a ratchet strap on hose and use a Jack to force on

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Are you sure you have the right diameter hose? There are many sizes varying down to 1/8" in many cases.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
I am replacing it with the same size of hose that was on there... 2" It just seems almost impossible to get up to the engine with the bends it has to make behind the bulkhead.

exhaust flair tool.
I think this would work perfectly! I'm trying to picture how you would use a jack though.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Here is a shot of what it looked like before I pulled off the old hose. Why would someone even put the second clamp on there? I've gotten the new one almost this far on, but there has been a lot of grunting and swearing, and not much more progress. I'll give the flare tool a shot!

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Can you cut an access door on that bulkhead?
There was more than one thought given to this, as well as dismantling the entire engine bay. If I had a saw handy, that may have happened last night!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I am replacing it with the same size of hose that was on there... 2" It just seems almost impossible to get up to the engine with the bends it has to make behind the bulkhead.
Then I would have tried the same size as well. But there is 2 1/8" dia. exhaust hose available(I saw it online). That would mean a mere 1/16 of an inch of space added inside the hose you can't get on fully. It might slide on snuggly allowing you to double clamp it.

Then again, is the fit good on the lower connection?

A tough problem because if that tight fit with only one clamp isn't fully secure, it may blow off.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
The Jack would be an old bumper type jack where the tabb ya hook ratchet strap and pull hose up

Aug 5, 2016
Then I would have tried the same size as well. But there is 2 1/8" dia. exhaust hose available(I saw it online). That would mean a mere 1/16 of an inch of space added inside the hose you can't get on fully. It might slide on snuggly allowing you to double clamp it.

Then again, is the fit good on the lower connection?

A tough problem because if that tight fit with only one clamp isn't fully secure, it may blow off.
Yep, Gates doesn't even list 2" hose. Only 2 1/8" for a lot of their exhaust hose.

Aug 5, 2016
Here is a shot of what it looked like before I pulled off the old hose. Why would someone even put the second clamp on there? I've gotten the new one almost this far on, but there has been a lot of grunting and swearing, and not much more progress. I'll give the flare tool a shot!
The exhaust elbow looks a little corroded on the outside, could be a lot worse on the inside. I would lake it off and check it. You do know if it fails it can ruin the engine? Salt water will run into the engine exhaust valves causing catastrophic damage.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Yep, Gates doesn't even list 2" hose. Only 2 1/8" for a lot of their exhaust hose.
It does fit perfectly onto the fiberglass muffler on the other end...

The exhaust elbow looks a little corroded on the outside, could be a lot worse on the inside. I would lake it off and check it. You do know if it fails it can ruin the engine? Salt water will run into the engine exhaust valves causing catastrophic damage.
Yes, I am aware of the dangers lurking in the mixing elbows soon to fail in all boats. The corrosion is pretty consistent with other areas, and there are no overheating issues so, I'd like to continue using this one until it's useful life has been used. The previous owner said it has somewhere around 100 hrs on it. If I replaced everything that was corroded, I'd have new engine and pretty much a new boat!

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I know you don't want to hear this but I waited for my exhaust elbow to reach the end of its useful life. A 1/4 inch hole opened in it due to internal corrosion and it made an unholy mess in my engine compartment. You have no idea how much soot can pass through such a small hole in 2 hours time. There was no visible outside corrosion. My sincere recommendation is to take advantage of that fact that you are already in there and replace the hose and the elbow. I replaced mine and it was not that miserable of a job. I cut the old hose off with a sharp knife and the new one went on relatively easy with a lot of Dawn dish liquid. I understand about "new engine and new boat" but I think this one warrants attention. Just my .02.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If you have tight bends leading to the elbow why not get a fiberglass fitting so the hose will not have bends.... I used these on my last engine due to similar situation and it worked out perfect and made putting hose on a breeze. Also used a bit of Teflon grease.....

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
There was no visible outside corrosion. My sincere recommendation is to take advantage of that fact that you are already in there and replace the hose and the elbow.
+1 on this

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
If you have tight bends leading to the elbow why not get a fiberglass fitting so the hose will not have bends.... I used these on my last engine due to similar situation and it worked out perfect and made putting hose on a breeze. Also used a bit of Teflon grease.....
Where did you find this fiberglass fitting?
I will be absolutely buying one along with a new elbow as well.

I was able to get the hose on after using a pipe expander and some creative winching.

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
I was thinking I could maybe get one more season out of this one... what do you guys think?
It was quite the job getting the new one in, but no more leaking and one more thing crossed off my survey to-do list!