Registered users don't see ads

Exhaust elbow room and cabinetry alterations

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by BC Bernie, Sep 20, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags:
  1. marchem

marchem

Joined Nov 16, 2012
    692 posts, 100 likes
    Catalina 310, 2000, #31
    US Santa Cruz
    Thanks. I'll go ahead and order the part and make the mod to the bulkhead. I may also buy the SS parts from McMaster to replace the riser at some point. Will also find a better location for the alternator shut off.
    Rob

2. DaveJ

DaveJ

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    250 posts, 74 likes
    Catalina 310
    Ca Niagara-on-the-Lake
    I guess I'll show my lack of knowledge here, but what is the reason for the alternator shutoff switch?

3. marchem

marchem

Joined Nov 16, 2012
    692 posts, 100 likes
    Catalina 310, 2000, #31
    US Santa Cruz
    If you have the alternator wired to an ACR at the batteries, rather than to the starter as originally done, you need a way to disconnect it when working in there. Wiring the alternator to an ACR lets you use the 1/2/Both switch to select the battery bank you are drawing from, and both battery banks get charged automatically regardless of the switch setting. See Maine Sail's discussion on this topic: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/1-both-2-off-switches-thoughts-musings.137615/

4. SBinNSB

SBinNSB

Joined Dec 5, 2010
    71 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 310 310
    222 US Niceville FL
    I am in the final stages of replacing the heat exchanger, raw water pump (upgraded), and all cooling system hoses and have a question;
    On our boat the hose from the vent mounted on the bulkhead to the exhaust elbow has a loop in it...is the loop needed? It would really clean it up if it was shortened and went directly to the elbow (like I see in the photos earlier in this thread).

Amazing how many hoses and chafe points there are on this motor...I found some "hidden" spots that were close to failure.

Thanks
    Scott

5. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    2,026 posts, 123 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    Absolutely necessary! Without the loop you could fill your block with water and hydrolock the engine .

6. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,768 posts, 1,399 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Couldnt’ the exhaust loop be located closer to the outlet further aft on the boat? That is typically where I see it done.

Tom J likes this.
  7. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    1,290 posts, 209 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Gunni, I think you are referring to the exhaust hose itself, which is looped as you described. I believe that Scott is referring to the vented loop for the raw water that is injected into the exhaust riser.

JK_Boston_Catalina310 likes this.
  8. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,768 posts, 1,399 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Yes, I am talking about the loop in the exhaust pipe/hose. It will be hot as a firecracker and remain un-cooled by raw water until it meets that injection point as it leaves the engine box. Typically raw water meets hot exhaust close to the manifold to avoid that heat problem.

That aftermarket fuel filter concerns me too. Plastic bowl just a few inches from a burned engine box wall and a hot exhaust pipe. Fuel filters in the engine bay should have a metal bowl for this reason.

9. SBinNSB

SBinNSB

Joined Dec 5, 2010
    71 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 310 310
    222 US Niceville FL
    Yes I was asking about the raw water hose vent loop not the exhaust hose.

10. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,768 posts, 1,399 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Sorry for the confusion, yes, you absolutely need a raw water loop. As high up as possible in the engine bay.

11. SBinNSB

SBinNSB

Joined Dec 5, 2010
    71 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 310 310
    222 US Niceville FL
    As usual I am more confused...I have the loop with the vent mounted on the bulkhead but was wondering about the line that goes from the vent down to the exhaust elbow...mine had a big loop but one pictured above did not have the loop and went from the vent directly to the elbow.
    Thanks

12. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,768 posts, 1,399 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Sounds like someone didn’t finish the job and trim the hose length. The anti-siphon loop install shown is correct.

SBinNSB likes this.
  13. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    1,290 posts, 209 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Mine goes directly from the vent to the mixing elbow.

SBinNSB likes this.

20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat